• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's best way to finance a Used Car ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    A quick google.....

Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed
    by Bill Slessor

I have owned my Alfa Romeo 156 for some 16 months from new and driven 16k miles in it. I offer the following history.
    The car was supplied by Dixon Motors and all warranty work has been carried out by them.
    The Selespeed has proved to be a nightmare.

After about three months, it became slow to drop into first gear and often when I put my foot down to move away I found the gearchange was in neutral and just dropping into first. The revs therefore increased violently and the gear was engaged, resulting in 'burning rubber' and considerable danger if moving away from a junction or onto a roundabout.

The system was checked twice. The first time, no fault could be found; the second time, adjustments were made with some improvement. But the problem reappeared and got worse. It would change down when the up-gear button was pressed and often would not change up from second gear when travelling down a slight incline at speeds up to 25 mph. It was necessary to slow down to about 10 mph with the brake on and go up the gears again.

New parts were ordered and arrived after six weeks. They were fitted but were faulty and the car was off the road for another six weeks until a second set of parts arrived. This was three months ago, but the same faults are beginning to appear again. Dixons cannot find any fault, although I have had my observations confirmed by passengers.

After about three months, the rubber/plastic began to rub off the Selespeed buttons on the steering wheel. After a five-week wait for new parts, these were replaced, but the same problem has developed again and, after another wait of about six weeks, Dixons has taken the parts from a showroom vehicle and put them on mine.

I have a three-year warranty on the vehicle but feel I cannot risk keeping it if these faults are going to occur again, resulting in massive parts bills and long waits for replacements.
    The car is a joy to drive and very sporty, but it is also the vehicle with which I have had the most trouble in 40 years of driving.
    Umm... I'll get a manual then
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
      A quick google.....

Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed
      by Bill Slessor

I have owned my Alfa Romeo 156 for some 16 months from new and driven 16k miles in it. I offer the following history.
      The car was supplied by Dixon Motors and all warranty work has been carried out by them.
      The Selespeed has proved to be a nightmare.

After about three months, it became slow to drop into first gear and often when I put my foot down to move away I found the gearchange was in neutral and just dropping into first. The revs therefore increased violently and the gear was engaged, resulting in 'burning rubber' and considerable danger if moving away from a junction or onto a roundabout.

The system was checked twice. The first time, no fault could be found; the second time, adjustments were made with some improvement. But the problem reappeared and got worse. It would change down when the up-gear button was pressed and often would not change up from second gear when travelling down a slight incline at speeds up to 25 mph. It was necessary to slow down to about 10 mph with the brake on and go up the gears again.

New parts were ordered and arrived after six weeks. They were fitted but were faulty and the car was off the road for another six weeks until a second set of parts arrived. This was three months ago, but the same faults are beginning to appear again. Dixons cannot find any fault, although I have had my observations confirmed by passengers.

After about three months, the rubber/plastic began to rub off the Selespeed buttons on the steering wheel. After a five-week wait for new parts, these were replaced, but the same problem has developed again and, after another wait of about six weeks, Dixons has taken the parts from a showroom vehicle and put them on mine.

I have a three-year warranty on the vehicle but feel I cannot risk keeping it if these faults are going to occur again, resulting in massive parts bills and long waits for replacements.
      The car is a joy to drive and very sporty, but it is also the vehicle with which I have had the most trouble in 40 years of driving.
      Anecdotal stories are pointless. Every brand has its share of lemons. Try searching for Mercedes Benz or even Lexus horror stories and you'll find quite a few.
      However I happen to know that the Selespeed models are problematic. Beats me why anyone would want one of them anyway. Real drivers always get manuals.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Get an Impreza and put your foot down!
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven
          Get an Impreza and put your foot down!
          Had one, bloody great car but the insurance was crippling and the attention it got from 'yoofs' when parked up was worrying to say the least.

All I want is a luxury saloon with rocket like performance, a low profile and cheap to insure... how hard can it be?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
            Erm, if you don't have the money, don't buy a car like that?
            The idea is to buy something that is current and would not need replacement for a while.
            lets face it how many people who dont get big big bonuses pay cash down for £15k+ cars.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
              Had one, bloody great car but the insurance was crippling and the attention it got from 'yoofs' when parked up was worrying to say the least.

All I want is a luxury saloon with rocket like performance, a low profile and cheap to insure... how hard can it be?
              Skoda?

Comment

Mazda 6 MPS, as I say, the perfect contractor car.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Subaru Legacy?
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Told a girl I can start right away
                    And she said listen babe - I got something to say
                    - I got no car and it's breaking my heart
                    But I've found a driver and that's a start

Told a girl that my prospects were good
                    And she said baby, it's understood
                    Working for peanuts is all very fine
                    But I can show you a better time

Baby you can drive my car
                    Yes I'm gonna be a star
                    Baby you can drive my car
                    And baby I love you

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                      Mazda 6 MPS, as I say, the perfect contractor car.
                      For once Threaded, you talk sense.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X