• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK economy 'skating on thin ice'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe they can raise money with a phone in quiz!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

There was a funny story on the radio at the weekend about how furniture shops like DFS put huge price increases on their sofas and beds and stuff in the couple of months before their Grand Easter Sale 50% off everything! bonanza.

Unfortunately, sofas and beds are included in the Retail Price Index calculation and this marketing scam actually ends up influencing interest rates.

That's what it said on the radio anyway.

Comment

I'd say that was just government sponsored spin to say the inflation rate really isn't as high as it is. (When we all know it is actually way higher)
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

interestingly there's a mortgage calculator on the bbc website

I had a go with it stuck an arbitary 200,000 GBP mortgage in at 5% it said the monthly payments would be 1,180GBP per month

it then warned that is the interest rates went to 12% the monthly payment would be 2,085 GBP per month !

ooops

there may be trouble ahead, if these interest rates keep rising there's gonna be a good few folk out there with brown underpants

Milan.

Comment

Hopefully no ones stupid enough to take out a mortgage at 200k unless there pulling in at least 3k net a month!

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
              Hopefully no ones stupid enough to take out a mortgage at 200k unless there pulling in at least 3k net a month!
              3K net a month? What that in norwegian Kroner?!! Anything less than 10K a month I'm still in bed....
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                interestingly there's a mortgage calculator on the bbc website

I had a go with it stuck an arbitary 200,000 GBP mortgage in at 5% it said the monthly payments would be 1,180GBP per month

it then warned that is the interest rates went to 12% the monthly payment would be 2,085 GBP per month !

ooops

there may be trouble ahead, if these interest rates keep rising there's gonna be a good few folk out there with brown underpants

Milan.
                I've just bought at house on a 10-year mortgage. A bit of rate rise won't make much difference. It's only if you try to borrow forever that all you're paying is interest, so double the rate means double the payments.
                God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I am renting a flat worth 200k for £550/month
                  beat that

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                    3K net a month? What that in norwegian Kroner?!! Anything less than 10K a month I'm still in bed....
                    You know I'm still going to have a ramble, wages are the reason for debt, first time buyer problems, I've seen permie jobs advertised a few more K above the figure I started out on as a fresh faced graduate 10 years ago on the same job; someone needs a good kick up the aröse for this...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                      I am renting a flat worth 200k for £550/month
                      beat that
                      Proving what I have been saying the price of houses does not match the demand for housing. Rents are cheap compared to mortgage repayments becuase of the oversubscription of BTLs.

Doomed etc.
                      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Working...
                      X