• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blimey: Climate Change, a wake-up call...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flubster
    Just come back from Orlando where Floriday have just had their coldest Easter weekend in 32 years. We had to go out and buy jackets cos we only took t-shirts and shorts with us. Global warming?
    No ,that side of pond has global dimming
    totally different ballgame

Comment

Supremo,

less of it,

as I told you before, swimming pool is off the shopping list, everything I am pleased to say will be ready in about 2 months time, at fecking last, it has taken long enough !

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
        http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2465960.ece

'Australia has warned that it will have to switch off the water supply to the continent's food bowl unless heavy rains break an epic drought - heralding what could be the first climate change-driven disaster to strike a developed nation.',

cripes, maybe Australia is not the best place to emigrate to as many think !

Milan.
        I thought Australia was a desert anyway?

Comment

even more so now

they're talking about turning off agricultural irigation systems which could devastate the agricultural cycles and take 6 years to get back to today's production capacity !

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            even more so now

they're talking about turning off agricultural irigation systems which could devastate the agricultural cycles and take 6 years to get back to today's production capacity !

Milan.
            So what will they do for sex if they can no longer rear sheep?

DA in "I'm off to buy a sheep farm in New Zealand" mode
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              No ,that side of pond has global dimming
              totally different ballgame
              Global dimming as a phenomenon first proposed in Israel
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                desalination?

No.

There's no money in it.

It costs a fortune in energy...
                In a moment of boredom I found this www.dti.gov.uk/files/file16527.pdf - batteryless phototvoltaic reverse osmosis desalination system

£23k(2001 figs) gets you 3.9m sq water @day
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

desalination?
                  Sorry, got confused. Apparently "salt water desemination" is a woman that spits instead of swallows.
                  "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Which is all very well until you realise that water in this country is priced at about 10p/metric tonne, though I guess it's different else where...
                    The deslinated water also tastes horrible. My brother had a contract at a desalination plant in Southern Spain a couple of years back and after the first gulp switched back to bottled water pretty sharpish.

Comment

Well there you go. Want to know what the next big thing is? Purified salt water, that doesn't taste like harry monk.

Can't be that hard, it's only a bit of chemistry.
                      "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Working...
                      X