• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overseas property investment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An aunt of mine bought property in central London during the second world war. Needless to say it was very cheap at the time, but she enjoyed a very comfortable retirement!

So if there is a lesson to be learned there, buy land in Baghdad. Don't build on it yet, just buy the land and maybe one day, your children will be rich!

Comment

One thing I do is buy ancient farmhouses and basically modernise them. Jack them up, put foundations under, connect them to mains water, gas, sewage etc. wherever possible. Treat all the timbers, rethatch the roofs. Often times even have a buyer before I'm quarter the way through.

Dunno why it is, but not many Danes do this, loads of Brits over here making a mint at it.

There's even one Bristol guy I met who chops big trees down, another job Danes won't do, even gets sub-contract work from Danish tree surgeons who can't get their own staff to do it...
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I know the potential returns on eastern Europe are higher than Spain, Portugal etc but so are the risks, there's a lot of activity with the eastern ski resorts but they have a long way to go before they can get anywhere near the respected ones, you can do most of the piste's in these resorts in a morning! If I was investing in a ski resort I would look at smaller ones in France with links to the bigger one's, I went to a place called Flaine in France few years ago where 1 bed apartments were going for £30k since then a big Canadian company moved in spent millions on the infrastructure and they now go for 4x that!

For anyone with a family Flaine is great, probably the best for skiing in France outside of the 3 valleys, the actual resort is very quiet mind.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

*edit* Property in Romania is 'expected' to return an average of 17% a year for another 10 years
          compounded - That's 380% in 10 years when it's already gone up 400% in 5 years.

You've obviously been listening to a looney at the seminar.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            One thing I do is buy ancient farmhouses and basically modernise them. Jack them up, put foundations under, connect them to mains water, gas, sewage etc. wherever possible. Treat all the timbers, rethatch the roofs. Often times even have a buyer before I'm quarter the way through.

Dunno why it is, but not many Danes do this, loads of Brits over here making a mint at it.

There's even one Bristol guy I met who chops big trees down, another job Danes won't do, even gets sub-contract work from Danish tree surgeons who can't get their own staff to do it...
            Threaded, what kind of figures (ballpark) are we talking here?

Comment

Not a learned opinion but...

I would imagine that once you money goes into property in Bulgaria , Romania etc you would have a problem getting the money back again if you wish to realise your profit.

I am pretty sure that if you did liquidate your property that the government would take a huge chunk of your profit if you wanted to repatriate the profits

Like I say, I dont know the facts but I do know a bit about Eastern Europe and I would check that before you invest.
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by woo
                compounded - That's 380% in 10 years when it's already gone up 400% in 5 years.

You've obviously been listening to a looney at the seminar.
                Exponential Long Term Growth
                The report projected a staggering 414% return on investment for the next ten years. That works out to a commanding 17.8% annually. Furthermore, a June 2006 study by Colliers International positions Romanian property as the second most profitable property market in the world.
                http://www.anglo-romaniandevelopment.co.uk/

Yeah stark raving bonkers
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Aren't many of the european ski resorts a bit worried about global warming?

Might not be the best time to invest in ski resorts, maybe mountain biking instead
                  "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

'Aren't many of the european ski resorts a bit worried about global warming?',

not 'arf pop pickers

I was told by someone in the know 6 years ago that VC's will not
                    invest in any projects beneath 2000metres.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
                      Aren't many of the european ski resorts a bit worried about global warming?

Might not be the best time to invest in ski resorts, maybe mountain biking instead
                      You have to be in it for the long term but maybe 1000 years is a bit beyond what most people are prepared to wait

All the resorts I have been to do walking, mountain biking, paragliding etc in the summer months already, it’s just that the summer season will start to get longer soon.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X