• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diamond engagement rings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardesco
    Rubbish made up by crap jewellers aiming at chavs. 18ct or 22ct gold can be just as tough as 9ct gold it the correct metals are used to make an alloy. 22ct gold is generally softer and will warp to match the shape of you finger after time (but then so will most rings worn regulary) 18ct will be just as hard wearing as 9ct crap.

For the real deal you want 24ct gold (And yes it is possible to get)!!!

For an engagement ring nothing less that a diamond solitare set in platinum is worthwhile!!!
    I didn't say it was a sentiment I agreed with.

I'm sure you can find 24ct bespoke pieces, but I imagine most jewellers would advise against them due to the softness.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
      I didn't say it was a sentiment I agreed with.

I'm sure you can find 24ct bespoke pieces, but I imagine most jewellers would advise against them due to the softness.
      I have a 24 carat and platinum layered ring.
      It will last my life time.
      The jeweller recently said I should have it serviced as it is a little damaged.
      The lady wife nearly burst into tears when I said every scratch and mark was important to me. She understood.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

My partners the same he has said I can spend as much as I want on a ring but I want to limit myself to a grand as were saving up for the wedding and need to do our house up too.

Have been to the high street but not found anything I like. Would love to go to Antwerp but have not got the time to go as were so busy so looks like it will have to be in the UK.

I have seen a few nice rings online but a little scared just in case I get ripped off and end up with a fake instead of what I thought I had bought.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          The lady wife nearly burst into tears when I said every scratch and mark was important to me. She understood.
          [wipes tear from eye helmie]

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            and by the way, for a diamond engagement ring make sure to get white gold

Milan.
            Platinum surely.

Comment

white gold was nice enough

look lads when I read something like this I am saddened as I see you have not researched the subject and run the risk of losing money,

'Why get a 15ct diamond knuckle duster if you missus has small slim dainty hands and 0.5ct will look much better on her.'

a, if you could afford a quality 15ct diamond you wouldn't be posting here

b, you NEED to UNDERSTAND the descriptions and measurement of quality in diamonds...

VS is the highest, VS1 is the second highest

a 3/4 carat VS1 will be much nicer than any crap 15 carat from argos

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                b, you NEED to UNDERSTAND the descriptions and measurement of quality in diamonds...

VS is the highest, VS1 is the second highest
                Probably, but you seem to have totally omitted IF, VVS1 and VVS2. Then follows VS1 and down. This only relates to clarity - probably the most important. You have omitted anything to do with colour and cut. With the naked eye most people won't be able to tell the difference between IF and VS2. Most people probably wont be able to tell the difference with magnification either.

Comment

granted, however it is nice to have a certificate stating such

agreed I missed the colour, aim for blue/green these are the most expensive

Milan.

Comment

why waste money. Buy a good zircon , nobody can tell the difference
                    atleast I can't.

Comment

I bought mine in states 3 years ago. Paid 3K over there, valued around 12 here last year. 1 ct, D colour, VVS2

If you can't get away try www.diamondgeezer.com (not as ridiculous as it sounds). All GIA cert stones so no need to worry. Read the diamond buying guide on there so you are up on your 4 c's (well 3, 4 being carat)
                      They aren't too badly priced.

Going to states in a week to get married and going to get some diamond earings whilst there. I keep thinking to myself there is some good cash to be made buying from there and then selling over here.

Comment

Working...
                      X