• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie Kicks Off!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendigo100
    That's the crux of the matter. There are lots of families who'd much rather have one or other parent looking after their children themselves.

And many who'd rather not of course, but the point is, it's not a choice any more for most.
    I'm planning on downgrading both cars, no skiing holidays etc etc just so she can stay at home if at all possible, I want to have a warm fuzzy feeling coming home to my family as the bread winner
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 2 April 2007, 14:50.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
      I want to have a warm fuzzy feeling coming home to my family as the bread winner
      Don't come back too early though, or you'll find her in bed with the postman.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
        Don't come back too early though, or you'll find her in bed with the postman.
        Knowing the post around here 6pm would be about right!
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
          I’m witnessing the mother of all rants this lunchtime. One of the permies is on a ‘spit & vinegar’ session having been informed that he’s about to take on part of the work done by a lass who’s about to go on 9 month’s maternity leave. (Apparently, this is her third sprog). It doesn’t help that he has to cover every time she wicks off from work when one of her other kids is ill. As you can guess, he hasn’t got kids.

Amusing to watch as it is, I’m inclined to agree. I acknowledge anyone’s right to breed but I don’t see why I’d have to put in the extra work because of someone else’s life-style decision. It’s bad enough letting parents into the pub to let their little urchins run around like it’s a ******* crèche. As you can guess, I don’t have kid either!

Right, shaunboy, so that's why you're so prickly about the subject. Pity you didn'r let on, we could have got real personal on the matter.

But hey ho. No hard feelings. Hope it all goes ok. Better you than me!! It'll be hand shandies for you for weeks after the birth!

Comment

Right, shaunboy, so that's why you're so prickly about the subject. Pity you didn'r let on, we could have got real personal on the matter.

But hey ho. No hard feelings. Hope it all goes ok. Better you than me!! It'll be hand shandies for you for weeks after the birth!
            EH???
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
              EH???
              It was you??? you b******...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                I'm planning on downgrading both cars, no skiing holidays etc etc just so she can stay at home if at all possible, I want to have a warm fuzzy feeling coming home to my family as the bread winner

when I'm going home in the evening I ring the wife to let her know when I'm 5 mins away. She stands at the window with our 5 month old girl. When she sees me her little legs start to kick like mad and she has this great big smile across her face when she sees me. Priceless. Having a child really changes everything and puts things into perspective. It's a long journey with ups and downs and your life will change. However, the ups are amazing and you forget about the lows. Easily a change for the better. Congratulations.

P.S wife not working either. Wouldn't want it any other way. However, that's only because we can afford too. Feel sorry for those mothers who have to leave their little ones and go to work.

Comment

I’m witnessing the mother of all rants this lunchtime. One of the permies is on a ‘spit & vinegar’ session having been informed that he’s about to take on part of the work done by a lass who’s about to go on 9 month’s maternity leave.
                  Since he is not being asked by the prospective mother to cover for her as a personal favour, but rather by the employer as part of his employment, the question is not whether he is being misogynist by not volunteering, but rather, whether the employer has failed to plan for this and is imposing on him unfairly to handle it.

Regardless of how it it came about, the employment situation is 1 of about 3 possibilities:
                  1. he is being asked to do more work and is being paid extra for it.
                  2. he is being asked to do her work instead of some work that he would otherwise have been doing.
                  3. he is being asked to do more work in the same time, without more pay.

Isn't it an easy one?
                  1 is ok if and only if he is ok with it: employee's choice
                  2 is ok: employer's choice
                  3 is abusive.
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

If the face don't fit

Reckon its more about the permie not being one of the favoured few in the workplace.

One of the things I've learnt in work life, if you have to give out tulipty jobs, give it to those you don't like - Especially if it means extra work and no career advancement - its no loss anway.
                    So, if you're a permie reading this, leave - it means a nice job for an expensive contractor (he he)

Comment

Working...
                    X