• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Words I hate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going forward
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

'Crack on' I have done quite a bit of work with the military over the years and it seems to be the universal phrase for getting on with it, no matter where I go they all say it
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
        'Crack on' I have done quite a bit of work with the military over the years and it seems to be the universal phrase for getting on with it, no matter where I go they all say it
        One ex military person I knew always said 'let's rock and roll' instead of 'crack on.' I always liked that expression as it was fun and informal whilst he still meant business.

Comment

"crash out" as in Henman crashes out of yet another tournament....Newcastle crash out of another cup competition......

Imagine Henman doing a hand brake turn on the Centre Court and smashing into the Umpire's Chair while taking out some twats from the front row with stupid hats and "Come on Tim" T shirts. Now that would be crashing out in style.

Comment

Upscale, Low hanging fruit and Channel.

Comment

http://isd.usc.edu/~karl/Bingo/bbbingo.html?eBusiness

sfw

just buzzwords bingo been done before but go on fill yer boots with a vertical marketing proposition ideally placed for crossselling opportunites into a currently horizontal market which is ripe for customer aquisition, net market makers and incubate some best of breed wizzywig e-commerce solutions.

In a nutshell

probably?

Comment

footfall, upselling.

Comment

on one of my first contracts I had to work with a bunch of HR management consultants to help them merge a group of companies. In the first meeting I attended they started using all those kind of phrases "ducks in a row", "reading from the same page" etc., but I didn't know they were stock phrases.

I'd just finished an arts degree and I thought that they just had an easy, if prosaic, command of metaphor.

At one point they asked me to present a proposed workflow that I was half way through designing, and I said that they were 'trying to open the oven door before the cake had risen'. A couple of them smiled but the rest just nodded appreciatively and carried on.

Comment

Is everything "ship shape"?
                    Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults

Comment

"at the end of the day"

"Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Working...
                      X