• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

another permie thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kramer
    i have been consulting for a software company that provide financial forecasting products..

its a really small start up with venture capital backing
    they want me to go on board as "Lead tecnologist" to basically take over everything to do with computers and prod dev!!

I will be a team of one initially...

Money is reasonable but meanstaking 2/3 of what i take as a contractor..

however its ground floor stuff with share options...

which could be massive..

the director and chairman have great pedigree and the small team are very impressive i can't see it not being massive...

but then i have a contract to start on monday and its just more money and new technology right now!!!The permo company is phoning me constantly... i have really impressed them somehow and they and the chairman wants me to stay with him and his family in france next week to discuss strategy..

oh dear.....what do i do...
    THEY WANT YOU TO GO TO FRANCE?!?!

..... Be worried that it might end up like that episode of Alan Partridge where he goes around to Dan's house.

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle
      THEY WANT YOU TO GO TO FRANCE?!?!

..... Be worried that it might end up like that episode of Alan Partridge where he goes around to Dan's house.

Run Lynn, they're sex people!!!!!

The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
        Run Lynn, they're sex people!!!!!

Dead on ... glad at least one person knew what i was on about

Comment

Originally posted by DS23
          interesting - got a website i can look at?
          pm'd the link

thing is i'm only 33 and want to get the money in while i can... permo is such a pain in the a$$

but then the job is working at home... all decisions coming from me... my own architecture...fulll training provided with accreditation that i don't have to fork out for...
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

i'm taking the permo job...

two things

can i still post on here?

how do i get out of the contract i agreed to for a monday start?
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hope it all works out for you Kramer.

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
                pm'd the link

thing is i'm only 33 and want to get the money in while i can... permo is such a pain in the a$$

but then the job is working at home... all decisions coming from me... my own architecture...fulll training provided with accreditation that i don't have to fork out for...
                Sounds like an ideal job, rememeber also if the companies exploded (in a growth sense) you're shares will be worth a good wad.

Comment

Kramer - Ask for more of everything, say you want an extra 5k + more share options.
                  They say no - you take the contract.
                  They say yes to that or something close - you go cards in.

Really like the share options part - could really pay off and makes you feel part of something rather than just permie dog.

Once the deal is done, phone/email the agent, tell them you have been made an offer you can't refuse so will have to turn down the contract offer.
                  They will bitch and whine but sod all they can do and there are always more contractors to step in.
                  Note - if they raise voice/swear etc - cut them off immediately and don't respond to any more comms.

Comment

took the permie deal... couldn't negotiate much more out of them i'm pretty rubbish at that.

but i'm off to france for two nights this week and next and have all the technology and training i can get my hands on...

if i'm any good the shares will go through the roof when they come to sell..

looking forward to working from home too... wife likes the sound of that

thanks for all the advice all.... i'll still hang around here though...

its just as good as any office banter!

Comment

well done, I think you have made the right decision. Look at it as a lower paying contract. If it doesn't work out you are young enough to go back contracting again.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X