• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

imac - $ to £ this sucks..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    Why then Apple moved away from this supposedly superior architecture, did you actually read reasons outlined by Jobs?
    Yes.

However the REAL reasons were:

1) Cost
    2) Availability of supply
    3) The inability of IBM to provide a G5-class chip with low enough power consumption to go in the next series of Powerbooks (now Macbooks).

Don't believe everything that nice Mr. Jobs tells you

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
      3) The inability of IBM to provide a G5-class chip with low enough power consumption to go in the next series of Powerbooks (now Macbooks).
      I thought PowerPC was superior architecture?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
        I’m seriously thinking of buying one of these imac’s 24” screen 2.16GHz looks the business and I don’t play games so do not need demanding graphics, just a reliable machine that does not have to download a new patch every time I switch it on. Really tired of windows now need a change.

So I’m all ready to make a purchase but why does the same machine in the in the US cost £350 less?!!

Sucks…

While the architecture conversation is riveting, you may want to have a look at the refurb store here

They currently have what you are looking for with a 13% discount...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          I thought PowerPC was superior architecture?
          That's an IMPLEMENTATION issue, not an ARCHITECTURAL one.

Originally posted by Anon
          Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
            While the architecture conversation is riveting, you may want to have a look at the refurb store here

They currently have what you are looking for with a 13% discount...

Thanks but I already have a MacBook.

I want a compact, headless, powerful desktop Mac with desktop-grade hard drive and video. A product that Apple is steadfastly refusing to make at the moment.
            Last edited by bogeyman; 5 March 2007, 11:17.

Comment

That's an IMPLEMENTATION issue, not an ARCHITECTURAL one.
              Is that right? So, then original Pentium M was much cooler (and with faster IPC) comparing to Pentium 4 only because of implementation?

Does it not occur to you that this implementation (deciding how long pipeline will be, whether parts of chip can be powered off) is actually inherent part of architecture, that obviously needs to be implemented?

Comment

Thanks but I already have a MacBook.

I want a compact, headless, powerful desktop Mac with desktop-grade hard drive and video. A product that Apple is steadfastly refusing to make at the moment.
                That was aimed at the OP...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Is that right? So, then original Pentium M was much cooler (and with faster IPC) comparing to Pentium 4 only because of implementation?

Does it not occur to you that this implementation (deciding how long pipeline will be, whether parts of chip can be powered off) is actually inherent part of architecture, that obviously needs to be implemented?
                  Been Googling (err SKA-ing) have we?

I suspect you didn't know what a pipeline even was until 5 minutes ago.

Now, If you'll excuse me I have work to do.

Comment

Actually I knew about pipelines every since I worked on optimising assembly code for V and U pipelines of Pentium processor

Learn how to lose with dignity bogey, you need this skill when argueing with me

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      Success (that was not artificial, ie monopoly) is a sure sign of superiority.

Does Tesco have superior architecture in terms of logistics, etc? The results on the market seem to suggest that they do.
                      Nah they just have the best Operational Researchers, every time a product approaches low stock level the supplier is informed electronically, they just made the effort to discover which path would take the less time. The path that takes the least time… now I don’t like Intel architectures on the premise of the number complex simultaneous arithmetic calculations it attempts to perform, I prefer it simple, small moves, keep it simple keep it stupid. That will be the winning combination in the end…
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X