• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie wants advice before switching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    arse
    Liquid lunch, Dodgy?

Good luck MartinF.

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
      as in "put your toe to the line" - the line being that red stripe that runs down each side of the house of commons.
      I thought it was the line scratched between bare-knuckle fighters.

Comment

could be both - I have a feeling that parliament used it first though. It was mainly to prevent opposition MP's taking a sword to the other side. If only those days could return - minus the red line of course

Comment

Toeing? lol

Well, when I say lol, I really just smirked a bit.

Strictly speaking, 'towing the line' is an acceptable alternative for people who have only heard the phrase and don't really have a freakin' clue what it means. I always figured it meant pulling a barge or something.

I'll stick with 'towing', thanks anyway.

Back to the point, I don't want Management. I love developing. But permie developers top out at £40k in my region and it ain't stress free.

So, is my vision feasible? How reliable are the statistics?

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
            could be both - I have a feeling that parliament used it first though. It was mainly to prevent opposition MP's taking a sword to the other side. If only those days could return - minus the red line of course
            If only...

I wonder which party has the hardest MPs, if it was a bare knuckle free-for-all?

Comment

Originally posted by MartinF
              Back to the point, I don't want Management. I love developing. But permie developers top out at £40k in my region and it ain't stress free.

So, is my vision feasible? How reliable are the statistics?

M.
              Do they include Indians in your statistics? They can do it for £40 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                arse
                What skillset would a pimp have?
                Me, me, me...

Comment

ITJobsWatch (as you all know) has the stats I look at.

I partly want to know if the figures are realistic? But the rates are less important than the availability. £450 a day (for my skills, allegedly) isn't much use if I only work 1 week a year.

It's not rocket science. Anyone know if there's a survey of how much Contractors actually put in their pockets per year. Broken down by skillset and height?

Hmm?

M.

p.s. On the plus side, I'm not going to bug you all with questions on Ltd companies and IR35. I live in (and will commute from) the Channel Islands and already have a ready-to-role Ltd company. So my requirements will be very specific.

Comment

Don't forget potentially not being able to find work for 6-12 months in the next downturn, having to travel and work away from home, getting all the crud jobs the Permies don't want, finding yourself with a skillset that's out of fashion, being called Contractor-scum and, most important of all, having to deal with Agents.

If you can cope with all that (and probably more) then go for it.

Do you want to retire never knowing whether you could have done it?
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by MartinF
                      Strictly speaking, 'towing the line' is an acceptable alternative for people who have only heard the phrase and don't really have a freakin' clue what it means. I always figured it meant pulling a barge or something.

I'll stick with 'towing', thanks anyway.
                      Oh really? So because YOU don't know the origin of the phrase you think you can continue with your ignorant usage, even though people have not only kindly pointed out the error, they've explained the etymology (or, at least, some theories).

About the three months per year you're planning to take off: you won't decide when your leisure time comes around. You might be on the bench for one or two months, and that extended trip you promised wifey and the kids won't look like such a good idea. Especially if you've just started another job you've been hanging for.

You're asking for guarantees of how much you'll be paid (from surveys, what other people have to say, etc). You don't seem to want to quit your current job until you have a lucrative job lined up even though they'll need to wait your notice period. You seem to think you're on a gravy train towards management except you object to that on YOUR terms (don't want to suck ar$e) -- but it should be apparent to you that if you haven't been pushed into management after 20 years, it's not going to happen ever. Maybe you should reconsider your dream, decide if you're really cut out for it.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X