• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Talking about plan b's anyone done the knowledge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuk sake, I know C# and VB and ASP and SQL Server.

I'm not complaining about my current earnings just trying to put a bit of contingency in place, in case I just can't stand talking to these agents anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
      Also...

Insurance is costly, especially for something that probably can't even reach 60.
      "Hire or reward" insurance is about £150/month outside London, probably a lot more inside - probably also more if you have a full taxi license, rather than a private hire, like I did. Your vehicle needs an "enhanced" MOT every 6 months, as well, at about £150-200 a go. I put about 30,000 miles on the vehicle in 6 months, and I was in a fairly rural area. After giving it a fair go I reckoned I was earning about £1 an hour after costs and chucked it in (not helped by the fact that the dispatcher gave all the plum jobs to her favourites & gave us all the cr@p).

I'm sure it's a lot better in London - with plenty of customers, and relatively little time running empty, but I wouldn't fancy the hassle
      Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
        Fuk sake, I know C# and VB and ASP and SQL Server.

I'm not complaining about my current earnings just trying to put a bit of contingency in place, in case I just can't stand talking to these agents anymore!

What about ASP.NET

Comment

interestingly,

on this taxi subject, met a driver two years ago who was saving to buy a licence for the heathrow maidenhead aream he reckoned a licence would cost about 50k gbp and he reckoned earning potential was about 3kgbp per week

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
            What about ASP.NET
            Thats what I meant

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              interestingly,

on this taxi subject, met a driver two years ago who was saving to buy a licence for the heathrow maidenhead aream he reckoned a licence would cost about 50k gbp and he reckoned earning potential was about 3kgbp per week

Milan.
              See that would do me!

Comment

Learn LinQ and WPF etc. ie. all the cutting edge .NET sheeeeiitttt.

Comment

If you start your own business hire a few permies get a big contract with the NHS or Goverment then you can retire in few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                    If you start your own business hire a few permies get a big contract with the NHS or Goverment then you can retire in few years.
                    Yeah ive got a company, so how would you go about doing this then? Sounds kushdy to me

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                      interestingly,

Milan.
                      I suspect he was trying either to buy an existing taxi business or the area restricts the number of licenses issued, and he was buying out an existing driver's license, since a taxi license costs you about £60 - 100 (if available), and an operators license costs only a couple of hundred.
                      Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
                      X