• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train driver a hero?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    What is the difference between bravery and stupidity?
    Here
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Now compare that story to

On Friday night Iain Black, 46, was driving a train which derailed at Grayrigg. Iain Black stayed in his heavily reinforced cab, knowing that this would give him the best chance of survival. Mr Black applied the brakes.

Not really on the same scale if hou ask me.

I mean only yesterday morning I avoided causeing a nasty pileup on the M6 when I avoided hitting lots of other cars on the motorway. Am I going to be claimed to be a hero as my driving skill meant I did not cause a pile up?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
        Am I going to be claimed to be a hero as my driving skill meant I did not cause a pile up?
        Yes if you were driving a coach with 100 people many of which could have died.

Perhaps the guy could not have done much anyway, but he did not run away - perhaps of fear, and got pretty bad injuries, so maybe that is not hero kind of thing, but sure deserves respect: just like those guys who made the train because number of killed/wounded was really low.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
          Now compare that story to

On Friday night Iain Black, 46, was driving a train which derailed at Grayrigg. Iain Black stayed in his heavily reinforced cab, knowing that this would give him the best chance of survival. Mr Black applied the brakes.

Not really on the same scale if hou ask me.

I mean only yesterday morning I avoided causeing a nasty pileup on the M6 when I avoided hitting lots of other cars on the motorway. Am I going to be claimed to be a hero as my driving skill meant I did not cause a pile up?
          You ARE a hero, in my eyes you are anyway and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            : just like those guys who made the train because number of killed/wounded was really low.
            Were they specially made for the British rail system then? given the track record… (did you see what I did there!)
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
              Were they specially made for the British rail system then?
              It does not matter what system - one has to assume the worst will happen and plan for that - from what was said it seems that design changes to the train helped reduce casualties big time, that is good thing and should certainly be required by law.

Comment

Originally posted by WHA
                Sir Richard Branson said he was a hero because of the way he "steered" the train after the derailing - well, trains don't have steering wheels and the drivers have no control over its direction, so it is impossible for him to steer it.
                Sadly they've changed the report - he just heroicly "ran the train along the stones" now.

Branson is a Labour Luvvy.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  Heroism is often illogical. What about that US marine last year who flung himself on to a grenade last year to save his fellows? It would have been more logical is to pick the fattest person in the dugout and flung him.
                  Beg to disagree, but during the delay while one is struggling and failing to pick up the fattest person, the grenade would go off.

I say fling the smallest person onto it.

Comment

Working...
                  X