• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The poor are better off under New Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social mobility has actually reduced under New Labour. It is harder for the poor to work their way up in society. The benefits system in this country which has become increasingly means-tested (like the tax benefits system).

This has the effect of acting as a disincentive to actually move up the social ladder. This can be shown by the increasing numbers (something like 1 in 3 of the working population) who rely on Government handouts of some kind or other.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      Yes..... but there are the earnings based middle classes who should be penalised and the benefits based middle classes who can just sit back and reap the rewards of the earnings based middle class.

HTH.
      Plus its easy to borrow your way out, it makes me laugh how many people are driving around in new cars bought on second mortgages purely to keep up with the Jones's, I don't know how it works but it seems to me that credit card companies (mostly American) are lending/making money by lending to the British public which the British High street is benefiting from at the moment but how long can it go on for? When rates go up and people can no longer afford it the tulip will hit the fan.

Have I just described an economical cycle?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
        One reason they are better off is because they are getting more benefits. The worst thing you can do to someone is give them something for nothing. They resent it anyway
        Spot on DA This is obvious to us humble contractors so why can't our illustrious leaders grasp this simple premise?

Comment

Working...
        X