• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happened to the good IT jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a blinding thread - interesting reading folks. I was casually looking at Ajax - you really feel this is the way forward for the front-end? My current development plan is XML/CMSes... a dying market?

I'm not sure I have the patience to sit through any more pointless project meetings than I do already so would stay on the technical side for as long as it pays.

Have met others past their career halfway mark who, wanting to develop themselves and rise the ladder chose the vagueries of management and left technical behind. I always feel that they secretly regret this, that they've effectively neutered themselves and spend the rest of their careers trying to justify themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
      What a blinding thread - interesting reading folks. I was casually looking at Ajax - you really feel this is the way forward for the front-end? My current development plan is XML/CMSes... a dying market?

I'm not sure I have the patience to sit through any more pointless project meetings than I do already so would stay on the technical side for as long as it pays.

Have met others past their career halfway mark who, wanting to develop themselves and rise the ladder chose the vagueries of management and left technical behind. I always feel that they secretly regret this, that they've effectively neutered themselves and spend the rest of their careers trying to justify themselves.
      ajax is just a fancy name for out of band xml messaging. Probably should have said Web 2.0 front ends - yui, del.ico.us etc etc
      whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
        ajax is just a fancy name for out of band xml messaging. Probably should have said Web 2.0 front ends - yui, del.ico.us etc etc
        I thought Ajax was just a fancy name for client side apps. You know, like everybody had 10 years ago before everybody went for web front ends to everything. It's taken this long for people to realise that web front ends actually aren't very good and now come up with a whole new way of doing exactly what we did before.

A cynic might say the industry exists to generate work for itself.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Ajax is a football team in Holland.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
            And why there are all these ads in jobserve for jobs of 30-50k or contract for 250/300 pounds (in London I mean - perhaps outside this might be ok)?

Would you really work in IT for this money? I'd rather do something else.
            If you were looking for a change what else could you do to get 300 a day or 40k permie with no previous experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
              Ajax is a football team in Holland.
              And a household cleaning product.

But I think he would prefer to be remembered for being only No. 2 to Achillies in the Trojan war. He was a bit of a thick-o though.
              Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by shoes
                If you were looking for a change what else could you do to get 300 a day or 40k permie with no previous experience?
                Yes, but all these ads are looking for people with a long experience in the specific requirements.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

you plonkers it is part of the master plan to get wages down and make everyone into dependent PARTY voters !

Milan.

Comment

Everytime I use ajax-type (java) stuff it's like programming over a decade ago - programming by trial and error and adding random libraries/frameworks.

There's an old saying in computer science that says something like "the optimistic programmer believes any problem can be solved just by introducing another layer of indirection."

In the java world that's replaced by any problem can be solved by introducing (yet) another framework/

Comment

TBH just about all code monkey rates outside Invstment banking are not good. I'm keeping my head down and hope no-one notices little old me saving for my retirement.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X