• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Underfloor Heating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've got it in the entrance hall, bathrooms and winter garden on my place, all of those rooms have tiled floors

i made a big mistake and should have done the whole house with under floor but didn't know enough about the subject and worried it would cost too much

the rest of the rooms with radiators have inch thick oak floors

whether oak or tile floors, the concrete has five centimeters of polystyrene on top of it throughout the whole house and then five centimeters of anilhydride on top of the polystyrene and then the tiles or wood on top of that so there is thorough insulation between the final floor layer and the foundation of the house but this is the same upstairs too

what i have learnt since is that if I had gone for the underfloor throughout the house (dipstick why didn't i do that) then I could have had the ground thermo pump heating method to heat the house

Milan.

Comment

Isn't the problem with UFH thermal inertia - you either have to leave it ticking over all the time(wasteful) or accept the longish delay in heat getting through the floor
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

yes that is true you have to leave it on all the time, but on the other side it never gets as hot as radiators otherwise it would burn your feet !

Milan.

Comment

We have it - couldn't go back now.

That's why you can only really do the heat pump thing with underfloor heating - the pump doesn't get up to the temperatures required for radiators. It's still more efficient than radiators too.

Comment

Working...
          X