• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Digital Camera

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so went to the local shop last night and this is what he has: -

Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-70 lense (glass optics) £799
    Nikon 70-300 Lense with image stabilizer £499
    Filters for the above - throw in free
    2 x 2Gb cards (FujiFilm) £49.00 each
    Nikon Battery - Can do a good price - not sure what it is !!

He said not to go for the sigma Lense, what do people think, as the Sigma is £149 without the image stabilizer.......

thanks !!
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner

He said not to go for the sigma Lense, what do people think, as the Sigma is £149 without the image stabilizer.......

thanks !!
      You get what you pay for!!! The lens is the most important part of the camera. Sigma and Tamron lenses will 'do the job' but I've no doubt you'll be dissapointed if you're half serious about quality, and want to upgrade to a Nikon lens later.
      Sockpuppet's suggestion to buy a uv filter (sometimes known as a skylight) is spot on - it protects the front of the lens. Accidents happen.
      Ask him about an add-on battery pack that takes normal AAs as you'll be away from leccy supplies.

Comment

thanks, I was considering going to a night class to learn some more.....don't know how much I'd benefit from it.
        Not really sure how much value you'll get out of these as they tend not to start from first principles.
        Photography = capturing light. Learn about light, light sources, light temperatures and colour, contrast, white balances, optics & density first. Get the theory in your head (It's not that complex, taught a mate in 2 hours) and proceed onto exposure, sensitivity etc. Understand the relationship between aperture, shutter and film emulsion/CCD.
        Most camera courses tend to start from composition and lead into style (i.e. editorial, reportage, still-life, portrait etc). Composition is IMHO the last thing to learn, after basic principles - and you either have an eye for a photo or not - only so much can be taught here - the rest is down to your outlook on life.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Do these photography classes have neked wimmin to take photos of?

And do you need film in the camera?
          ! I went on a life-painting course recently that did

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Nubile or old & wrinkly?
            Young & fit. Quite distracting really.

Comment

thanks !!
              Recently decided to bite the bullet and buy a good DSLR after mucking around with 'prosumer' nearly-DSLRs for a couple of years and finding them too fiddly.

Being a long-time Nikon (film) user, with a bunch of old but very good manual focus lenses, I got the D200. If it handn't of been for the D80's inability to meter with older Nikkor lenses, and the fact that it doesn't take CF cards (just the smaller even fiddlier SD? cards), I might have gone for that.

Sigma lenses are pretty decent. Don't own any but have borrowed some of their wide and long lenses from a mate. The construction is a bit cheap compared to Nikon's high-end lenses, but what the hell. If you don't abuse them I'm sure they'll be fine.

Check it all out on www.dpreview.com.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Well I got it last night,

The nikon D80 with a Nikon 18-70 lense
                Nikon 70-300 lense
                3 x 2Gb cards
                2 x filters
                Lense case
                Camera case
                spare Nikon battery
                for just over £1500, which is what I made in overtime last week I could have got it cheaper over the net but I wanted to a. buy from a shop where I can take it to if I have problems, and b. support my local community.

Just need to get used to it now.
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

The nikon D80 with a Nikon 18-70 lense
                  Nikon 70-300 lense
                  lens. Plural, lenses.

In mem.
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Nice one - good wide-telephoto range there. Personally I wouldn't use an obvious camera case in the Far East - too nickable. Stick it in a scruffy rucksack instead.
                    I can give you a lesson over a pint in Richmond/Twickenham if you like - standard rates apply

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
                      Nice one - good wide-telephoto range there. Personally I wouldn't use an obvious camera case in the Far East - too nickable. Stick it in a scruffy rucksack instead.
                      I can give you a lesson over a pint in Richmond/Twickenham if you like - standard rates apply
                      well, I may well take you up with that !!! What is your hourly pint rate ?
                      SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                      X