• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vinyl to MP3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Also got a Garrard 301 transcription turntable with an Acos Lustre arm & shure M75. Plays 78s.
    We've (me and Mrs Bob) got a Realistic Lab-500 from the late 70s with a new GoldRing cartridge in it. Only the best for our vinyl.

Our amp is new though, a Rotel powering a couple of Tannoy speakers.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Why bother ! Unless and probably even if you have some obscure stuff on vinyl, you should be able to find a copy on the internet - emule, limewire, not to mention all the pay sites ???

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
        Why bother ! Unless and probably even if you have some obscure stuff on vinyl, you should be able to find a copy on the internet - emule, limewire, not to mention all the pay sites ???
        Because MP3 copies have data missing by design - and yes you can hear the difference when played through a top-end system.

Also because I have stuff on vinyl that was never released on CD. Lots of it. It's not that unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          Because MP3 copies have data missing by design - and yes you can hear the difference when played through a top-end system.

Also because I have stuff on vinyl that was never released on CD. Lots of it. It's not that unusual.
          Sounds like you're suffering from Tom Jones Syndrome

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            Sounds like you're suffering from Tom Jones Syndrome

Comment

I've never seen a laptop without line in, though I've seen them without mic in (my MacBook has no mic in, but has line in). Are you sure you're not getting it the wrong way round? Since laptops have built in condenser mics they'd forego the mic in I'd have assumed.

Or, as you said, get a USB input box. M-audio stuff is pretty good, though may be a tad expensive unless you're a pro.
              Just looked on the left side of my Thinkpad T43 and the symbol says it's a Mic. It could be fibbing but it does take my little external mike just fine.

Same for old Toshiba, and on that I did not that it was Mic in the instructions too.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                Has there ever been any Muse on vinyl?
                No I don't think so, though some bands do release on vinyl as well as CD.

Noticed "Love" on Amazon in a vinyl+Cd bundle: so after years of getting us to pay high prices for CD copies of our old vinyl, now they get us to buy both at the same time.

Comment

Me too - for example, Mr Raffles has been fecked up from the original vinyl version on every digital copy I've found online, plus some stuff by Family.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    Just looked on the left side of my Thinkpad T43 and the symbol says it's a Mic. It could be fibbing but it does take my little external mike just fine.

Same for old Toshiba, and on that I did not that it was Mic in the instructions too.
                    My old Thinkpad R51 had both line in and mic in. Don't see the point of only having a mic in when most laptops have condensers built in. Still, you can always get a USB audio input box if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X