• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stalingrad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=DS23]
    Originally posted by sasguru
    The city came before the book.

HTH
    QUOTE]

really? my goodness and there was me thinking it was a work of fiction.

TFYH
    TIC.
    HTH.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      PPS ATW Why is it a bad book? I thought it was alright.
      The book was written in a language typical for a soviet suck-up rather than objective writer: if you look at how Manstein wrote his work you will see that he very rarely, if at all, uses absolutes - lots of words: probably, likely etc: now that's objective approach even though he was in a very biased position, yet he wrote in a very good unbiased way showing that he really was a professional of the highest order.

Beevor's fall of Berlin has got same problems - compare it for example to Liddle Hart's (spell?) book on World War 2 - now that's excellent work that does not suck up to either side, only pity that it mainly focussed on Allied operations, I wish someone of his quality could have written work on Ost Front's operations, sadly even if he was alive this would not be possible because Soviet/Russian military historians primarily serve the interests of the State to show their side in the best light by falsifying history.
      Last edited by AtW; 7 February 2007, 13:57.

Comment

Working...
      X