• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Accident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Replace the word driver with IT contractor and I have the same philosophy on surviving contracting.

Indeed.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      A number of the above are not accidents are they!
      I did say some ...
      You can always be in an accident because some twat is drunk, tired or both.
      I'm just determined I won't have an accident through my own fault.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
        make sure the traffic is STOPPING before stepping out onto the Zebra crossing
        no make sure it's STOPPED

MG in been run over twice mode
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
          no make sure it's STOPPED

MG in been run over twice mode
          There's that annoying council thing where they put speed humps down a road, including in the pedestrian crossing. The number of times cars have slowed down and I've waved and started to walk across only to find that they have simply slowed down just to traverse the speed hump.

About time councils removed speed humps. I can't get the car over them very easily and there are about 9 in every direction leaving my house. I do get great pleasure doing 60mph between them though...

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_humps.htm
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I was riding a bicycle in race with some friends. Came to a corner and to keep up I really leaned in and started pedling a bit too soon. One pedal hit the road, I lost control and the last thing I remember was one of the guys behind me riding over my head (no helmets in those days). Next thing I remember is having 13 stiches removed. I don't remember anything in-between.

I still ride fast and have cart-wheeled down an hill a few times on my mountain bike. I wear a helmet now.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim
              Anyone here had a near death road accident? did your life flash before your eyes? I had one last year on the motorway, just kept thinking: 'this is it, this is it, its all over now'

Did the accident teach you to drive betteror slower? I try to keep to speed limits now
              Seen loads, did slow me a down for a while but sometimes get urge.
              Last edited by Ivor1; 5 February 2007, 16:58.

Comment

Was in an unfamiliar area to me and looking at the roadsigns.

Meanwhile, the traffic ahead of me had come to a halt.

When I looked up and saw what was about to happen, I applied the brakes.

However, there wan't enough distance to stop and the inevitable happened.

My life didn't flash before me (or maybe it did and I didn't notice because it is so insignificant!) but time seemed to slow down.

Tis' a weird feeling knowing something nasty is about to happen and you cannot prevent it!
                Last edited by Clippy; 5 February 2007, 17:04.

Comment

did you hit a stationary BMW?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    an exception to the general "if you hit someone it's your fault" rule I've always found strange.
                    on this matter - I've witnessed many near misses and even a fatal crash a long time ago when a driver joining a A road from a B road only checks right for on-coming traffic and does a rolling go at the junction.
                    What he or she does not check for or see, is from the left a car overtaking slower traffic at high speed and using the right hand lane of a road to do so.

Who is to blame?
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I've had the obligatory minor shunts but luckily nothing serious. However, having done 70,000 miles over the last three years - mostly A and B roads - I have learnt how true one piece of obvious advice is.

Don't overtake unitl you are absolutely sure you can complete the manoeuvre before an oncoming car appears.

I found myself deliberately not overtaking when I was getting impatient and waiting to see if it would have been safe. Low and behold, not all the manouevres would have been without the odd flashing of lights or raised fingers.

The challenge these days is to get from door to door fast but without incident. One close call or over-cooked corner can spoil the entire journey.

Comment

Working...
                      X