• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US vs UK Contracting & IT Salary Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"rent of a flat would be $650 instead of £650. So you don't need to earn as much."

All expenses are paid for.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just remember that in the US the working conditions are really bad. You'll be in a cubicle with 7 days holiday a year max and will be expected to work 14 hour days, 6 days a week.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        When Jobswerve suddenly started inundating me with job ads from the USA after Christmas, the rates were low for my line of work.
        Don't forget to take into account cost of living, general rule of thumb, don't go by exchange rate, go at a $1=£1 comparison to get it balanced out.

Barring NYC, the cost of living in the whole of the USA is cheaper than the UK and even NYC is only comparable on rent prices. Also further south you go the cheaper it gets.

Not that much of a contractor market in the states though, they have such crap employee rights that they don't really need to hire contractors, they can just hire and fire permies with relative ease instead. Also from what I know virtually impossible to get H1B visa sponsorship for a "contractor" approved.

Another thing to factor in, in the US 6 day working week, 9/10 hours per day is so common it is pretty much the standard for IT (even though your "official" hours will 40/45 hours per week, the extra will be unpaid overtime)

Comment

6Days

When I was there the guys didnt work weekends, where does this 6 day week come from? News to me
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

You are miskaten. Nobody in IT works for 6 days a week in the entire world.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              You are miskaten. Nobody in IT works for 6 days a week in the entire world.
              Milan works 8 days a week.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                Milan works 8 days a week.
                excluding tape changing profession

Comment

Fish and Barrel springs to mind.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                  X