• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black_knight

I didnt like the hours, I thought 9-6 with a half hour lunch was a long day to carry off every day. I didnt like the drive; an hour and 20 minutes both ways made the day even longer. But I knew all of this going into the contract, and was happy enough to accept it.

I think what did get to me thoughh, was when even working these long hours we were asked to stay behind after hours to move our desks, something which I tohught should have been done in company time...and then there where the looks I got when I did leave at 6pm, instead of staying until 6:30 like everyone else.

But I have worked for Caudwell's before and should have known what to expect. I should have kept my mouth shut and got on with the job.

It is just too bad that I actually liked the work.

9 till 6 is very long hours

don't know what kind of companies you work for normally - must be in the north, I went for an interview for an investment bank - Canary Wharf yesterday, guess when was the only time they could squeeze me in for an interview ? it was 8 am, Canary Wharf is 2 hours away from my home, so had to get up at 5 am to make sue I arrived at 7:45 for an interview

I actually managed to arrive at 7:20 and I tell ya it was still dark sun barely out, and it was like mad rush hour at the Jubilee line when arriving at Canary Wharf -- one of the Coffee shops was closed hence there were queues for ever all waiting their coffee from the other coffee shop !!

If I get a job where I can work 8-7 then am so lucky ! if you want the big bucks you need to put in the hours.

Last night, I received 3 phone calls form agents? what time all between 8 and 9 pm?? now that is working late, not leaving home for 6 pm

Comment

It sounds like an awful place. Everyone spies on everyone else then?

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
        9 till 6 is very long hours

don't know what kind of companies you work for normally - must be in the north, I went for an interview for an investment bank - Canary Wharf yesterday, guess when was the only time they could squeeze me in for an interview ? it was 8 am, Canary Wharf is 2 hours away from my home, so had to get up at 5 am to make sue I arrived at 7:45 for an interview

I actually managed to arrive at 7:20 and I tell ya it was still dark sun barely out, and it was like mad rush hour at the Jubilee line when arriving at Canary Wharf -- one of the Coffee shops was closed hence there were queues for ever all waiting their coffee from the other coffee shop !!

If I get a job where I can work 8-7 then am so lucky ! if you want the big bucks you need to put in the hours.

Last night, I received 3 phone calls form agents? what time all between 8 and 9 pm?? now that is working late, not leaving home for 6 pm
        When I worked at banks here in Germany they would quite often have meetings at 7:00am. People get in at ridiculous times but leave early. I used to drive up to Frankfurt and if I couldn't find a parking space by 6:30am I would drive home and not bother going in. If I was there though, unlike the Germans, I would normally work from 7 'til 5 (door shut, feet up type of job!)

Possibly those agents are working from home?
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

8.5 hour day is long? You are kidding? A regular 42 hour week is the least I've done.

Comment

hahah Cauldwell.... you definitely should have known better...
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
              hahah Cauldwell.... you definitely should have known better...
              Caudwell, actually wasnt that bad. That is what I am trying to say, and what I have learnt from this. Sure the hours where long, the office was either too hot, or too cold, and you would be given dirty looks for leaving at 6pm. But ultimatly, (particularly down south) it seems the hours can be longer, and I am sure there are worse conditions out there.

In the end of it, I am going to be taking a new contract which IS closer to home, and does operrate a 7.5 hour day, but is costing me £14,000 per year. I wish I had kept my fool mouth shut!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                Just like the room for the IT staff at one of the 'big three' in the city. The rows of benches were so close together you couldn't walk between them without people having to pull their chairs in.

But, hey, their junior partners take home £0.5M, so of course treat their staff with disregard.
                I was in one of them. Paperless office: it had to be, there was no space to put a piece of paper down.

Comment

I worked the longest 8 months of my life at one of these. Christ - never again. People treated like animals, office terrible, desks barely bigger than the monitor and so cramped in that when anyone gets up to walk past, they bang every single chair on the way out.
                  They dropped permies with barely a second glance, contractors would be considered to have a 2-hour shelf life if the budget changed.
                  Reason they are constantly hiring is that it is like a revolving door. Every Friday people would leave, usually in batches of 2's and 3's (out of an IT staff on site of 60).
                  IT boss was an ex-bouncer, nicknamed 'mad dog'. Weekly meeting with his management team (of which I was part) was the funniest 2 hours of any week as b*llockings were dished out and there were plenty for everyone !
                  Every single person I met there was trying to get out, chalk it up, you have had a lucky escape.

Comment

oh well...moving on.

I have just secured my next contract....£5 per hour less, but it is only 20 minutes down the road.

This time I will behave as I would like a guest to behave in my house, and keep my mouth shut.

Comment

This gets even better.

So far Caudwell have not paid any of my invoices.
                      I received a letter from Caudwell today be recorded delivery.

In the letter they outline that they where not happy with the standard of work, and that I made no attempt to improve the quality and standard of work..This is despite me being completly unaware that there where any concerns.

In fact the first I knew of any concern was when the agent called me monday morning and said dont go into work today.

How can a company, the size of Caudwell, think that they can have a contract and then simply refuse to pay for the work performed without so much as a written or verbal expression of concern.

Comment

Working...
                      X