• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie job offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to take the job!!!! Cheers

What's a good skill set these days? Looks like I'm going to have plenty of training opportunites available.
    MSCE or CCNA etc?

Comment

Originally posted by notescontractor
      What's a good skill set these days? Looks like I'm going to have plenty of training opportunites available.
      MSCE or CCNA etc?
      Fortran IV

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        Fortran IV
        Basic
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

cobol is making a comeback

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            More than that. Have you ever rounded up 100 people and told them that on average they should earn £26k etc etc.

I'd guess without city traders etc the average wage is more like £17k
            That's why it's best to look at median or modal incomes, mean incomes are skewed. 22k-24k is prob 'modal' earnings.
            I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Don't compare the perm offer with the current contract terms, you need to compare with the market. Your perm job probably = the current contract rate making it a very reasonable offer.
              Couple of things -
              - If they just want you to keep plugging away in your old job with vague offers of training, that would be a bad idea. Get firm offers of what training you will be given/where the role is going in the next 3 years.
              - CCNA still seems to be valid but forget MCSE, that just means you are a support g!mp = 15-18k/year.
              You need to find a different boat to jump on, management, dev etc but make sure it is going to be a runner in a few years (if you can !) notes isn't.
              Another option - ask for 50k, they know what you are currently on which doesn't make the request ridiculous. DONT fall for the 'we will review the salary in 3/6 months time' line, it's b*ll*cks.
              HTH

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
                - CCNA still seems to be valid but forget MCSE, that just means you are a support g!mp = 15-18k/year.
                Oi! As a bad permy maybe but I make more than 3x that with an 'introduction to IT' type course as my only training, its all about experience and your ability to find a good gig.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X