• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

snaw's got new work from home now!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete non-story.

Expect to read in next week's Sunday Times that water is wet.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

<not 100% sure here>

I think part of the problem is ebays pricing policy, and the sellers greed obviously.

If you want a fixed reserve or initial bid price then you have to pay ebay a percentage. Sellers dont want to take that risk if the item doesnt sell so they set low or no reserves and open price then get their mates to bid the price up.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Indeed, TLG. There are charges for setting a reserve so obviously eBay want you to do so and the seller doesn't, especially on high value items.

However, bricks 'n' mortar auction houses have been doing this since auctions were invented in the form of ghost bids. Does this mean this age-old practice is now illegal too? Bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          Indeed, TLG. There are charges for setting a reserve so obviously eBay want you to do so and the seller doesn't, especially on high value items.

However, bricks 'n' mortar auction houses have been doing this since auctions were invented in the form of ghost bids. Does this mean this age-old practice is now illegal too? Bizarre.
          The practice is and always has been illegal, it is fraud, but proving it is a different matter.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            The practice is and always has been illegal, it is fraud, but proving it is a different matter.
            Are you sure, TLG? The article posted seems to say it has only been illegal since 2006.

Everyone who frequents auctions knows ghost bidding takes place and no one seems to mind. If the ghost bids are silly you just stop bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              Are you sure, TLG? The article posted seems to say it has only been illegal since 2006.

Everyone who frequents auctions knows ghost bidding takes place and no one seems to mind. If the ghost bids are silly you just stop bidding.
              You may be right, maybe I just thought it was illegal.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
              X