• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear FORUM administrators,

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2uk
    I know I am only 27 posts/years old, but have you ever thought that the forum is only devided into 5 Main categories ? This seems like a waaay to little for highly visited forum ( the views are not created automatically right ? ) .

These sections can be further subdivided into categories - Say Accounting - Umbrella , Ltd , Ir35. , and Technical - MS , VB , SQL , ISA (and yeah Linux if someone is still doing that - just kiddin ) and so on.

Such a categorization shall decrease the redundancy of posts as it will be easier for ppl to find what they need. Currently a post is out of direct sight ( the first 1 -2 pages ) within a day.

Come on developers back me up , some one may hit a contract !
    Who do you think you are?

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
      Who do you think you are?
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Agree with the replies, keep it simple.

tulipe99 is a pain up the arse to use. And IT Contractor.

2UK, are you a permie manager by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
          I know I am only 27 posts/years old, but have you ever thought that the forum is only devided into 5 Main categories ? This seems like a waaay to little for highly visited forum ( the views are not created automatically right ? )
          ISTM that this is not a bad suggestion; but in the end it is wrong (and the subject has been discussed before).

Quite simply, a detailed division is appropriate for some forum sites, but not here: the current division fits what the users like to do.

"Technical" is not hyperactive: split it into Linux etc and it'd look like a graveyard.
          Business and Acct: again, you never know who might see something and reply. If each were 4 or 5 forums, nobody would ever visit them all, and the range of replies would sink.

General is where we all hang out. That's what we want: it's gossip and chat. All together. In fact people regularly post in General something that really belongs in another forum, just so that everybody sees it; furthermore, this behaviour is rarely slagged off, because we understand (and being slagged off is easily achieved here).

So in short, General where we all come all the time; plus a small number of specific but broad divisions.

Admin: why not try a narrowcasting forum or 2, to see how it goes down? Say:
          General - hotel recommendations
          Contracts - Going direct
          Technical - SQL

But personally I think the motor of these forums is the collection of regulars who are on all the time, and chat about anything with everybody.
          Last edited by expat; 26 January 2007, 10:41.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            I would add a couple of categories like "first timer advice" and FAQs as we do seem to get asked the same stuff over and over again.
            Seconded

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              I would add a couple of categories like "first timer advice" and FAQs as we do seem to get asked the same stuff over and over again.
              New people wouldn't read them. There is already a First Timers guide and a host of useful Sticky threads at the top of the boards, but people wade right in with the same old questions without reading these.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                No way! Other sites that try and do this are a pain up the arse to use.

Look at the PCG site - yesterday I visited there to see if they were discussing Labour's latest tax raid on contractors, as flagged by Tony English here, and I searched half a dozen of their forums before giving up.

So no:

1. You never be sure where anything is, especially with subjects that could equally belong in two or three different forums

2. It's a pain for users having to swap about the forums so often

CUK has got it about right.
                I agree Wend ...

I've stopped visiting PCG forums because 1. I don't think it's as busy as this site and the topics that are covered here are better and 2. all of the above....

IMHO the whole PCG site and the forum needs redesigning.... it's very confusing (difficult to navigate) and I expected a lot more pages to appear when I joined as a fully paid member too.
                -------------
                Cactus

Comment

Oversub dividing forums is a sure way to kill them off

Comment

Don't tell there is something we are all agreed on!

Comment

Yes, and one section for Sally Anne, one for Duder pseudo-romances and one for guru, the self-bullsh1tt1ing man in love with an idealised virtual image of himself.
                      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                      X