• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear or fair play?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    There you go talking out of your arse again, nice to see normal service resumed. They can only claim salvage (as I said in my first reply here) if they report that they have done so and intend to return the property if asked. How does that equate to selling it on ebay.

Common thieves.

You may be right with the rest of your rant.
    Yup - Salvage is only legal if any finds are registered with the port authorities. There has never been any right for people to take what they found and do what they want with it. There is no difference in this case.
    Police do need to secure the area for other reasons than just stopping people looting (sorry i mean salvaging) The environmental impact of the wreck is being worsened as all the packaging that was safely inside the containers is being left on the beach. There is also a safety aspect of unstable and potentially toxic goods within the containers.

TBH, the whole thing just shows up the ME society that Britain has become
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      They can only claim salvage (as I said in my first reply here) if they report that they have done so and intend to return the property if asked. How does that equate to selling it on ebay?
      And you know for a fact that they have NOT already reported these items and been given permission to keep/sell them do you?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
        And you know for a fact that they have NOT already reported these items and been given permission to keep/sell them do you?
        The form is a 2 page affair which needs filling in and sending (ie posting) to the relevant port authority. They then contact the legal owners and report back to the salvager. Usually for big finds there might be an agent involved who can help negotiate a suitable recovery fee for the salvager.

Given that its only been a couple of work days then I think its highly unlikely that the salvagers will have been given ownership of the items they found.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

You obviously know you are wrong or else there would have been a barrage of abuse attached to that and a or two.

As it was a serious question: I do not believe that the people in question have had enough time to fill out a form and send it to the correct office and get a reply telling them they can keep/sell stuff. None of the news web sites state permision has been given.

Permission may have been granted but I doubt it.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            Given that its only been a couple of work days then I think its highly unlikely that the salvagers will have been given ownership of the items they found.
            Highly unlikely, but we are speculating again as none of us know for sure. Well except TLG whose rather small mind seems to be made up for him already. I suspect he prefers it that way, everything filed away neatly in as short a time as possible.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

IMHO it is stealing, especially when they are helping themselves to items from a house move.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

It's getting out of control http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Branscombe-bay...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                  IMHO it is stealing.
                  And what a very humble opinion that is. The debate has moved on peabrain. Do try and keep up baggy!

Comment

And what a very humble opinion that is. The debate has moved on peabrain. Do try and keep up baggy!
                    There you go again, change the record you sad c unt
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Highly unlikely, but we are speculating again as none of us know for sure. Well except TLG whose rather small mind seems to be made up for him already. I suspect he prefers it that way, everything filed away neatly in as short a time as possible.
                      Oh Shaun, no officers around to tell you what to do and what to think, nobody to read al the thread to you? Never mind. You wont have to live without orders for long, your wife will be back soon.

My first post reads: These people may be salvagers.
                      My second reads: Based on the evidence they are nothing but common thieves.
                      My reply to you: States why I believe the evidence I used in 2.

I may have a small mind, but that is so much better than being a mindless automaton like yourself. Yes I like things filed away neatly, the random mess in your head explains your moronic statements on most subjects, how do you ever find those moments of clarity you occasionaly come out with.
                      I do things quickly and correctly. Right first time saves a lot of effort instead of rambling round a subject like your good self.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X