• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendigo100
    Spacecadet did. He's got family in Carlisle.
    nibbles don't count

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
      eh???
      Torran has described it about right.

It's another 1984 theme. I really don't know why I said it now - it just popped out.

Comment

Spacecadet did. He's got family in Carlisle.
        He is correct - but being too literal when I said rebuild HW- and I can't think of the word for a conceptual idea rather than a geophysical location... & it's not bolloxs btw
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Nope... but a remarkable amount of English support for letting Scotland go
          hardly a fecking surprise. Couldn't care less to be honest, we're all fooked anyway.

Comment

eh???
            We have cut the links between child
            and parent, and between man and man, and between man and woman.
            No one dares trust a wife or a child or a friend any longer.
            But in the future there will be no wives and no friends.
            Children will be taken from their mothers at birth, as one
            takes eggs from a hen. The sex instinct will be eradicated.
            Procreation will be an annual formality like the renewal of a
            ration card. We shall abolish the orgasm. Our neurologists are
            at work upon it now. There will be no loyalty, except loyalty
            towards the Party. There will be no love, except the love of
            Big Brother. There will be no laughter, except the laugh of
            triumph over a defeated enemy. There will be no art, no
            literature, no science. When we are omnipotent we shall have no
            more need of science. There will be no distinction between
            beauty and ugliness. There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment
            of the process of life.
            1984 - George Orwell.
            Drivel is my speciality

Comment

It's another 1984 theme. I really don't know why I said it now - it just popped out.
              I thought you were replying to my Big Ben post.... your mind must have been elsewhere
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If the CIA are reading this board (and why wouldn’t they?), please please please rendition Gordon Brown’s @rse to Camp X-Ray.
                "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

The room darkened as the talk turned to Eric Blairs 1984 ...

You too Wendigo ?

I thought I had purged myself earlier this year of Eric Blair when I had about a month of threads last Jan including the Central Scrutiniser - for those who may recall but I cant help it - is there no escape from this darkness ?

You'll be shooting up on anything
                  Tomorrows never there
                  Beware the savage jaw
                  of 1984 ...

Comment

We have cut the links between child
                    and parent, and between man and man, and between man and woman.
                    No one dares trust a wife or a child or a friend any longer.
                    But in the future there will be no wives and no friends.
                    Children will be taken from their mothers at birth, as one
                    takes eggs from a hen. The sex instinct will be eradicated.
                    Procreation will be an annual formality like the renewal of a
                    ration card. We shall abolish the orgasm. Our neurologists are
                    at work upon it now. There will be no loyalty, except loyalty
                    towards the Party. There will be no love, except the love of
                    Big Brother. There will be no laughter, except the laugh of
                    triumph over a defeated enemy. There will be no art, no
                    literature, no science. When we are omnipotent we shall have no
                    more need of science. There will be no distinction between
                    beauty and ugliness. There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment
                    of the process of life.
                    2007 - New Labour

Comment

Roads to Freedom 1984 and beyond

SUPER-COMPUTER

Tony Blair is expected to announce today that sensitive personal data could be swapped by Whitehall departments. Ministers believe restrictions on data-sharing between civil servants are too strict. A 'super-database' or 'super-computer' holding everyone's records would be similar to a planned children's database.

DNA DATABASE

The Prime Minister has suggested that the DNA of every British adult should be stored by the state. The national database already holds 3.7 million samples, 6 per cent of the population, far higher than any other country. More than one million have been taken from people never convicted of an offence.

CCTV

The British are among the world's most observed people. Some 4.2 million closed-circuit television cameras record our every move - one for every 14 people and more per head than any other country in Europe or North America. The average Londoner can be caught on camera 300 times a day.

MEDICAL RECORDS

Millions of medical records are to be transferred to a central NHS database, allowing staff anywhere to access patients' information. People who object will not be able to opt out. The most personal information will be available to hospital managers, IT departments, high street pharmacists and civil servants.

IDENTITY CARDS

The first identity cards will be issued next year to foreign nationals and from 2009 to UK citizens. Anyone who renews a passport will be forced to register and the Government aims to make ID cards compulsory within six years. Fifty-two pieces of information, including fingerprints and iris scans, will be held.

SPY IN THE SKY

Motorists are already monitored through the soaring number of road cameras. In an effort to cut congestion, the Department of Transport is examining plans to use satellite technology to keep tabs on every vehicle's exact movements. Motorists, forced to have a black box fitted in their cars, would be billedfor every journey they make.

Growth of surveillance

1984: DNA fingerprinting method discoverd by accident by Sir Alec Jeffreys

1985: Outdoor CCTV camera erected in Bournemouth

1994: Government paves the way for huge expansion of CCTV

1995: The world's first National DNA Database established in England and Wales.

1999: Tony Blair gives a sample of his DNA

2001: Sir Alec Jeffreys calls for profiles of entire UK population to be held

2004: Number of DNA profiles hits the two million mark

2004: Information Commissonaire Richard Thomas warns that Britain is 'sleepwalking into a surveillance society'

2005: MPs vote to introduce identity cards

2006: National Black Police Assocation call for inquiry into why black people are over represented on DNA database

2006: Identity Cards Act becomes law

2007: Data-sharing by Whitehall departments likely to be introduced

2008: Foreign nationals will have to start supplying fingerprints, eye or facial scans added to a National Identity register

2008: Children's database, covering all under-16s in England and Wales, will be launched

2009: The first biometric identity cards will be issued to British citizens when they renew their passport

2010: NHS Database will store the records of 50 million patients providing details over the internet

2012?: ID cards compulsory

Comment

Working...
                      X