• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Databases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    My client has decided at the absolute last moment to use a timesheet system which uses Excel files - which are uploaded into a Access database. Guess who got stuck writing the system?
    We got stuck doing it 'coz the twit who was supposed to do it...took six months to decide that he couldn't do it. How he keeps his job....

Now I'm stuck with some anus auditor fellow who keeps loading the timesheets manually into a excel sheet - all 200 of them - to double check the database numbers. No wonder this place is constantly in a state of change!

Is there anywhere that is run well? Years ago, I worked at a place where the admin staff took before and after screenshots of every change that they made to the account records and filed them in the manual filing. It was because they did not trust the computer system.

Comment

The thing is, when I turn up sometimes and I know its a small gig, I give 'em a spreadsheet using Macros, ADO & Power Functions
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
        The thing is, when I turn up sometimes and I know its a small gig, I give 'em a spreadsheet using Macros, ADO & Power Functions
        I'm sure they are fine. Its when you get users with a little bit of knowledge developing their own solutions that you can find some complete pigs ears.

EDIT - oh yeah, and the other pet hate is where they have had some contractor come in and knock something up for them using Excel and they can't tell you how it works!
        Last edited by Gonzo; 7 January 2007, 19:20.

Comment

I write stuff that I know 90% of contractors wont have a ******* a clue how it works let alone permies.

Why. Cause it's short-term baby and if you wanted a proper solution then you'd pay the developmnt money.

MF in 'KEEPING US ALL IN WORK' mode.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
          X