• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hold that Trump Nobel peace prize

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Last time that happened, it was an 18 year old being hanged for raping a 12 year old boy (as I recall).

A bit harsh maybe by modern western standards, but happy to be corrected if you can cite a genuinely ridiculous case such as a 14 year old hanged for touching up or snogging a 14 year old girl or something similar (which is what your post suggested happened).

And let's not forget that by a statute of Henry VIII, sodomy (including oral sex!) was a capital offence in the UK and US until the 1860s
    Moreover, the USA has executed a 14 year old by electric chair; he was pardoned after the execution.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

BTW: Because Airbus uses some USA made components. Airbus will be subject to the sanctions against Iran.

More redundancies to come.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Last time that happened, it was an 18 year old being hanged for raping a 12 year old boy (as I recall).

A bit harsh maybe by modern western standards, but happy to be corrected if you can cite a genuinely ridiculous case such as a 14 year old hanged for touching up or snogging a 14 year old girl or something similar (which is what your post suggested happened).

And let's not forget that by a statute of Henry VIII, sodomy (including oral sex!) was a capital offence in the UK and US until the 1860s
        16 Year Old Girl Hanged for Crimes Against Chastity

Outrageous.

Comment

Meanwhile Bibi is in Moscow admiring Vlad's muscles...

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/08/e...ntl/index.html

Moscow (CNN)The May 9 Victory Day parade is a major public ritual in Russia. It's a showcase of military might that marks the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945. This year's event, however, is about more than just historic commemoration.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to view the parade on Wednesday. His high-profile visit to Moscow comes amid fallout from the US' decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal.
          Russia and Israel have complex ties. Russian President Vladimir Putin is a military ally of Iran, Israel's sworn enemy. And at Wednesday's parade, Netanyahu will be watching some of the hardware that Tehran seeks to boost its own arsenal.

The Kremlin wants to keep the Iran deal intact; Netanyahu is a vocal critic who says Iran has lied about its nuclear program.

Yet Netanyahu has a strong working relationship with Putin, and the two leaders have kept open lines of communication amid the escalating confrontation between Israel and Iran.
          Confused?
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I somehow don't think that we, by that I mean the Western world, can morally attack Iran for funding terrorism when throughout recent history, Western governments have funded and supported what could reasonably be called terrorist groups as long as it furthers their ideals.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              I somehow don't think that we, by that I mean the Western world, can morally attack Iran for funding terrorism when throughout recent history, Western governments have funded and supported what could reasonably be called terrorist groups as long as it furthers their ideals.
              A terrorist to us is pretty much anybody who fights to defend their own land and dignity as well as the nut cases who go round blowing themselves up and killing civilians. Not making a distinction between the 2 doesn't help anybody.

Comment

I don't think we can morally do anything, the powers that be are getting so desperate to try and stay on top any pretense of morality has gone out the window. The question is what can we ordinary people do about it when our leaders are making awful decisions that our against our interests and just furthering the aims of special interests?

Recent events have shown the scale of the breakdown of trust and support for our governments and media, and no amount of labeling dissenting voices as [worst person ever] and no-platforming will stop it.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I'll be in Tehran next month I'll let you know what the lounge is like.
                  I bet they don't serve champers...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

But they have quite a lot of oil, and therein lies the rub....
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
                      Iran is a country whose regime is happy to hang children in public.

From Cranes.

For alleged "crimes against chastity".
                      Hmmmm….inneresting….

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                      And what is irrational about mentioning that Iran has executed girls under the age of 16 for "crimes against chastity" when debating a video released under that same regime's state broadcaster?

Comment

Working...
                      X