• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget - Composite Companies Dead!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wildstyle
    I have had a chat to Parasol about this already and they state they are unaffected by this. They state you will still be able to claim schedule E expenses as the payment is taxed at source.

I guess the jurys out for a while.

I'm going to wait til after christmas and speak to my tax advisor.
    For them to say they are unaffected is quite frankly wrong. The draft legislation quite clearly states that umbrella Companies are included (page 20 footnote). It also goes on to say (page 23) that people using MSC's (which include umbrellas by their definition) will be treated like normal employees for expense purposes ie you will be able to claim very little, and certainly not home to work travel which is of course the bulk of most contractors claims.
    P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

PBR solving 2 problems

Originally posted by wildstyle
      I have had a chat to Parasol about this already and they state they are unaffected by this. They state you will still be able to claim schedule E expenses as the payment is taxed at source.

I guess the jurys out for a while.

I'm going to wait til after christmas and speak to my tax advisor.
      The PBR is obviously tackling 2 areas that they see as issues:

1. Everyone in composites & MSC's saying they are outside of IR35 and therefore using the dividend option to reduce tax / ni

2. The claiming of expenses, in particular travel to work and subsistence, via all kinds of umbrellas (composite, MSC's and PAYE) using the dispensation angle.

They are going to close both these loopholes in April as that is exactly what they have said they will do in the PBR.

I would expect all the composite people to move over to single limited companies and no doubt their current umbrella / managed service provider will provide that option or they will go out of business.

But the expenses angle is a different matter. If it is so, that no travel to work expenses and subsistence can be claimed, then there is no point in using an umbrella, you might as well go on the agency payroll and cut out the cost of using the 3rd party umbrella. If any provider in this industry thinks it doesn't affect them then I think that is scandalous.

The IR had a go at me last year on the travel to work stuff and lets be honest 95%+ of contractors only have 1 permanent place of work and it isn't home or the umbrellas office. Normal employees cannot claim travel to work expenses, their breakfast / lunch / dinner nor can they get laptops etc... so you have to say the IR have got a point.

Comment

"The IR had a go at me last year on the travel to work stuff and lets be honest 95%+ of contractors only have 1 permanent place of work and it isn't home or the umbrellas office. Normal employees cannot claim travel to work expenses, their breakfast / lunch / dinner nor can they get laptops etc... so you have to say the IR have got a point."

When I worked for a management consultancy last year, all their staff were paid to travel from London to Chester and put up in a hotel and able to claim all their outgoings. They did this for the best part of a year. When they went into their London offices they were not able to claim anything. I don't see how this is any different to what I'm currently doing.

Every Friday I work from home where I have a room fully kitted out with everything I need for my business - and a few mondays also depending on meetings etc. Obviously I do not claim anything in my expenses for this working from home (as I don't have any), but do when I work at the client site in London. I also have had to supply my own laptop for a couple of roles and have used it many times since on different client sites. Again in the management consultancy, all their staff were given a laptop - which they took home and were free to use in their own time. Again I fail to see how my laptop purchase through my business is any different to the Management Consultancies purcahse for their staff.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Why do none of you seem to go self employed?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

because we are not allowed cortesy of old labour in the 70's
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              because we are not allowed cortesy of old labour in the 70's

what is the difference between you and a plumber

(apart from the fact that plumbers are useful ) could'nt resist
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                Most agencies will not deal with self-employed contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                  1) you presumably only did this one day a month or so. Not every day of the month.

2) You were not in the position of selecting a specific job, based upon whether you got a jolly out of it. The trips were incidental you day to day job, not the journey that you made to get to your job.

tim
                  Normally two or three days a week, but sometimes for weeks at a time.

And I ran the team and allocated the work, so yea I did choose the jobs I wanted to do
                  Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Victims of their own 'success'

A lot of older contractors will probably turn round and say 'I told you so' to the newbies that were attracted by the well written and marketed proposals for earnings up to 85% of gross fees. They were offering a Dutch auction as to who would outbid on expenses WITHOUT receipts FFS!. You only have to look at some outrageous claims by N*r*a and others to see that these don't stack up. A company based in the IoM with solicitors in the South, accountants in the Midlands and payroll in the North of the country, operating dividends from the Caribbean. do me a favour, IR are not THAT stupid. AFAIK, most of their clients are our cousins from Oz, NZ, SA etc that don't really give a monkeys about compliance. Most of the UK guys that I know of operate through Ltd Cos or legal umbrellas like Simon's and a few others. Greed is good, but don't end up like Gecko.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                      In the early days, many did, but then an agency (can't remember the name) got billed for all the NI and PAYE that the contractors owed (about £2 million, IIRC), and no agency would deal with contractors on that basis ever again.

If you're willing to take someone on as self-employed, I'm game - got any IBM mid-range contracts?
                      Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
                      X