• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    When the stock market crashed in 1929, basically companies went to the wall, and then after several years of a grinding depression a new President was elected who spent billions to get out of it. So the lesson is if you end up in a depression you're going to have a spend a lot of money at some point, you may as well do it up front and prevent the depression in the first place.
    One small question.... whose money exactly?

Because what you're actually suggesting is spending money of tax payers not yet born. US / UK, if I were a graduate / young person with a passport I'd get the hell and set up camp in the far east. There's no way I'd swallow the medicine and pay more in tax to support those reckless boomers.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The German government was the only one to introduce a furlough scheme during the last recession, which is what everyone is criticising and their debt went down faster than everyone else. That's because companies could hold onto their workforce and companies could quickly ramp up production once the economy started to recover.

That is why everyone is now copying them. Sometimes spending money can save money.

If an airline turns its planes into saucepans to pay off the creditors then it will take years to get back its capacity.

Aye... but! You have to have money to start with to pull it off.

You can't copy the tried and tested method used in Germany if you're up to your eyeballs in debt. German politicians play the long game, US / UK politics play the short term bribe voters into voting for me with tax cuts etc... it's why nothing gets built, 3rd runway, HS2 etc they are all too busy looking for which bits of the country to sell off next. And voters love it.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Looks like I sold at the right time.. the crash is beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
          Looks like I sold at the right time.. the crash is beginning.

Mostly treading water, awaiting the Fed. Fed is really the only game in town now so that is the main source of risk, followed by Trump bleating about China.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Aye... but! You have to have money to start with to pull it off.

You can't copy the tried and tested method used in Germany if you're up to your eyeballs in debt. German politicians play the long game, US / UK politics play the short term bribe voters into voting for me with tax cuts etc... it's why nothing gets built, 3rd runway, HS2 etc they are all too busy looking for which bits of the country to sell off next. And voters love it.

It's not tax-cuts that are the problem, it's bonkers levels of public spending.

Comment

This is what I hate about investing. Bad news for 5000 folks, good news for me.

British Gas owner Centrica to cut 5,000 jobs

Centrica, the owner of British Gas, is to cut 5,000 jobs this year to "arrest the decline" of the company.

The company has been losing customers to rivals and, in February, blamed a big loss in 2019 on the energy price cap and falling gas prices.

Centrica also said the coronavirus crisis had shown how the company could be "agile and responsive".

New boss Chris O'Shea said the energy giant would strip out three layers of management to slim down the business.

About half of the jobs to go will be among the company's leadership, management and corporate staff. This will include half of the senior leadership team of 40 who will leave by the end of August.

Centrica currently has about 27,000 employees, with 20,000 of these based in the UK.

Comment

This is what I hate about investing. Bad news for 5000 folks, good news for me.
                "Centrica, the owner of British Gas, is to cut 5,000 jobs this year to "arrest the decline" of the company.

The company has been losing customers to rivals and, in February, blamed a big loss in 2019 on the energy price cap and falling gas prices."

Yeah, great news for you

Comment

Just you wait...

Comment

aha just bought in time, up it goes

The market seems to be such that whatever you buy it goes up like a rocket.

-6% Ouch. Think some sort of congratulations are in order.

101 in trading - leave emotions at the door.

102 - don't try to time markets. Ever.

Comment

I'm still holding until August at least. Very much in profit at the moment... and I think the greater gains are to come.
                      This no way reflects how I feel about the business, it is purely a technical trading opportunity.

You sure you want to hold till August? The market is on course to shrink by 10%.

Comment

Working...
                      X