• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in 10k with airlines, not liking my chances at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      If you believe this is going to happen there's a very simple and tax free way to make money from any drop..
      Good share - will look into as an option.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If you believe this is going to happen there's a very simple and tax free way to make money from any drop.

Just buy this inverse ETF. You can hold it in a SIPP or ISA.

Xtrackers Share Price (XUKS) FTSE 100 Short Daily UCITS ETF | XUKS

It goes up in inverse to the FTSE 100.

Note - not a long term buy and hold due to the way the underlying contracts roll, but great for a few days or weeks.
        The 10 year chart is interesting, do you think any doomsters have held it all that time

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          The 10 year chart is interesting, do you think any doomsters have held it all that time
          Inverse EFTs are for very short-term hedging IMHO. They rebalance every day so the roll-over price may not be as attractive as one might hope.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            2 minute chart

What do you possibly hope to tell from that?
            Nothing, but I tend to dip in and out in-between other things when looking for something to pass the time. It's possible to pick up a quick £50 without too much thought.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Stocks I (DimPrawn) think will either take years to recover or not recover at all:

Airlines
              Airplane manufacturers
              Cruise and Holiday companies
              Hotels
              Restaurants & Retail (shops)
              Commercial / Office space
              Train operators
              Airport operators
              Oil Companies
              Fossil Fuel Power companies
              Any companies with very large debt to equity ratio

Stocks I think will grow now or soon

Pharma
              Takeaway
              Some car manufacturers (electric tech)
              Food & Groceries
              Online goods retailers
              Delivery companies
              IT services
              Software
              Games
              Communications
              Streaming services
              Social Media
              Infrastructure
              Green energy

This is just my personal opinion. See my sig for disclaimer.
              I think airlines and oil will both come back quickly if/when we get a proper vaccine, ditto hotels and holiday stuff. Retail and office wont though. Telegraph has been tipping property REITS I also wonder if some of the tech boom companies are a bit susceptible to not delivering share price wise if they don't have a proper monopoly. I can't understand why Amazon is doing so well, where is it's monopoly ?

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                Inverse EFTs are for very short-term hedging IMHO. They rebalance every day so the roll-over price may not be as attractive as one might hope.
                I'm in the Warren Buffett camp, if they are hard to understand properly then don't dabble. Same with inflation linked bond funds, anybody want to explain them.

Comment

Nothing, but I tend to dip in and out in-between other things when looking for something to pass the time. It's possible to pick up a quick £50 without too much thought.
                  Why not go to Las Vegus instead? If your gains are further ahead than your losses after summing up I'd be genuinely surprised.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    I can't understand why Amazon is doing so well, where is it's monopoly ?
                    People are locked down, they can't go to the shops. Everyone knows of Amazon (network effects).

Comment

They use swaps, and the costs of moving swap contracts mean you are guaranteed to lose money holding it for a long time...

Comment

Working...
                      X