• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    I'm going to keep this one open over the weekend to see what happens.
    Nothing will happen as FTSE 100 markets do not trade over the weekend.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Nothing will happen as FTSE 100 markets do not trade over the weekend.
      That's true, but if one keeps a position open over night*/over the week-end one benefits from the opening price movements without having to place an order that might not get triggered.

It's a bet; it could go the other way and wipe out the small (paper) profit... but, and having said that, I did benefit significantly from week-end market movements when Coronapanic was is full flight a few weeks ago.

Are you new to this?

* Also, the FTSE trades 24 hours a day Monday to Friday on spread-betting platforms if one is so inclined... it's a bit more of a gamble though.
      Last edited by wattaj; 17 April 2020, 17:13. Reason: Clarity.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

That's true, but if one keeps a position open over night/over the week-end one benefits from the opening price movements without having to place an order that might not get triggered.

Are you new to this?
        Mind the gap!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Mind the gap!
          I use stops. Guaranteed stops if I think that they're necessary.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

That's true, but if one keeps a position open over night*/over the week-end one benefits from the opening price movements without having to place an order that might not get triggered.

It's a bet; it could go the other way and wipe out the small (paper) profit... but, and having said that, I did benefit significantly from week-end market movements when Coronapanic was is full flight a few weeks ago.

Are you new to this?

* Also, the FTSE trades 24 hours a day Monday to Friday on spread-betting platforms if one is so inclined... it's a bit more of a gamble though.

I'm not a trader nor a gambler.

Investor mostly sometimes a swing trade or two. The less there is to watch the better the quality of my trades.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not a trader nor a gambler.

Investor mostly sometimes a swing trade or two. The less there is to watch the better the quality of my trades.
              And yet I've still made ten quid more than you on Centrica. That's got to sting a bit.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

And yet I've still made ten quid more than you on Centrica. That's got to sting a bit.
                Money brings up all sorts of emotions with everyone. You can't be emotional when trading, so sorry no sting.

Down around £1.4k since buying in. Went in with more than what I advertised before, doesn't bother me a bit.
                Last edited by scooterscot; 18 April 2020, 20:39.

Comment

Interesting....

Coronavirus: Domestic electricity use up during day as nation works from home

Home energy use is up by up to 30% during the middle of the day, new analysis by energy firms reveals.

Much of the population is working from home and schools have closed, meaning home computers and televisions are busier than ever.

The highest peak is at lunchtime, when cooking is added to the power consumption of working from home.

But overall, the country is actually using less energy because of businesses being closed.

The National Grid reports that morning and afternoon electricity demand is down by nearly 20%. But most of that is due to lower demand from large, industrial users like factories.

At home, where individuals are paying, overall demand is up - and may reveal some details about our new habits.

Comment

Down around £1.4k since buying in. Went in with more than what I advertised before, doesn't bother me a bit.
                    And yer squiggly lines did not predict that?

Comment

Beijing tightens its grip on HK whilst no one is looking.

Still there is many here who thing London HQ'd HSBC will pull through unscathed - cute.

Hong Kong police arrest pro-democracy activists

Police arrested 15 pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong on Saturday as Beijing seeks to reassert its authority after last year’s protests.

Martin Lee, an 81-year-old pro-democracy politician who helped write the city’s Basic Law and Jimmy Lai, 71, the founder of anti-Beijing newspaper Apple Daily were among those arrested. Both have been accused of being part of a “gang of four” targeting China.

The arrests followed allegations the activists were involved in organising unlawful assemblies and come as the city is distracted by coronavirus, which ended months of anti-government protests.

Leung Yiu-chung, a sitting politician, was also arrested after attending a legislative council meeting.

Sing Ming, a political scientist at the University of Science and Technology of Hong Kong said coronavirus could mean a weaker backlash against the arrests with the public preoccupied by concerns about job security and personal safety.

Beijing was also hoping to undermine the political resources of pro-democratic politicians ahead of the legislative council election scheduled for later in the year, Prof Sing said.

The UK foreign office said they were concerned about the arrests and urged Hong Kong authorities not to “inflame tensions”.

More than 7,000 people have been arrested for their involvement in the protests since June, many are charged with rioting which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in jail.

Some of the group, including Mr Lee, were later released on bail. “I don’t regret what I’ve done. I felt proud, together with the young people of Hong Kong, to continue on the path of democracy,” he said.

Comment

Working...
                      X