• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its all kicking off in Las Vegas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police found 23 guns in his hotel room, as well as "in excess of" 19 firearms and explosives at his Nevada home
    23 guns, including scopes and tripods apparently. How... How the hell did hotel staff not spot him lugging all that lot in?
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      And who do you think should be blamed?
      Do what the mods do and give it out randomly.

Comment

Just to point out, according to wiki;

2010 - 67% of all firearm deaths were suicides
        2012 - 64% "
        2013 - 67% "

Then, for 2010;
        Murders by gun type;
        Even if you add 'Rifle' (358) to Unknown (1939) and divide by (handguns 6009 + rifle + unknown), you get 28%

For 2012;
        13216 Homicides;
        8855 with guns (all types),
        6371 were handguns, so 72%
        even if rifles are all others, that's 28%

Why are we arguing over banning automatics, when that's clearly not the biggest issue, with regards to number of killings?

By all means, run detailed background checks, hell have a register of owners - but the US needs to focus on handguns, as the data above clearly shows
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          Why are we arguing over banning automatics, when that's clearly not the biggest issue, with regards to number of killings?
          As it will prevent large massacres. And is a good place to start towards total gun control.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            As it will prevent large massacres. And is a good place to start towards total gun control.
            No, the data clearly shows that banning handgun ~70% of homicides - is the place to start.

Massacres are infrequent, but get the emotions up (especially when children are involved) - but the larger total numbers are with handguns, every year.

So to ban rifles first, you must want to stop massacres but aren't as bothered by the overall larger numbers of handguns.....
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

No, the data clearly shows that banning handgun ~70% of homicides - is the place to start.

Massacres are infrequent, but get the emotions up (especially when children are involved) - but the larger total numbers are with handguns, every year.

So to ban rifles first, you must want to stop massacres but aren't as bothered by the overall larger numbers of handguns.....
              I agree with everything you say. BUT...

Trump was once for banning semi-automatics. Until his rise in the Republican party. He changed tack to secure the NRA vote.

I am suggesting the path of least resistance.....

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                23 guns, including scopes and tripods apparently. How... How the hell did hotel staff not spot him lugging all that lot in?
                I hope the Bellboy got a decent tip
                We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Similar argument to why all the fuss over a plane crash when more people may have died that day in car/vehicle crashes.

With the yanks it will be easier to convince them that military grade weapons in the hands of individuals is more bonkers than the typical hand gun the majority own, even if the number of overall deaths points to the latter being the deadlier.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I agree with everything you say. BUT...

Trump was once for banning semi-automatics. Until his rise in the Republican party. He changed tack to secure the NRA vote.

I am suggesting the path of least resistance.....
                    Ah ok, at least that's understandable.

However, if that were to come to pass, I fear the Americans would see it as a slippery slope and resist it anyway
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      Similar argument to why all the fuss over a plane crash when more people may have died that day in car/vehicle crashes.

With the yanks it will be easier to convince them that military grade weapons in the hands of individuals is more bonkers than the typical hand gun the majority own, even if the number of overall deaths points to the latter being the deadlier.
                      Sort of agree, but it'll be labelled as a slippery slope I fear
                      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Working...
                      X