• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blair 'sorrow' over slave trade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Stop saying "people like me" - it's discrimination

Its not collective guilt - its about being able to be a bit fecking humble and admit the mistakes of the past. You dont have to flog yourself every day for it, just admit that it happened and say sorry for it!
    What is the big deal?!
    No SallyAnne, I won't "admit" it happened, I'll "acknowledge" it happened, like Krakatoa, the ice age, and the invention of the telephone.

Frankly I don't care what that "black chick" (sic) thinks. She should be feckin grateful she didn't live in the past, rather than getting bitter and twisted about it. I'm sure many of my forebears had a hard life too.

Comment

Ester Stanford, the secretary of the Rendezvous of Victory Campaign, said: "This statement of regret does not go far enough.

"What is now required is a dialogue about how we repair the legacies of enslavement, and we're talking about educational repairs, we're talking about economic repairs, family repairs, cultural repairs, repairs of every kind that we need to recreate and sustain ourselves - it will cost."
      I wonder how they will measure the 'compensation'?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Logie
        I'd just like to apologise for my great great great great great grandfather's uncle's brother's sister cousin twice removed who had inappropriate sexual relations with the village elder's brother's mother's cousin's best friend.

Glad to get that off my chest. It's been bugging me for centuries.
        So it was you, you barstard!

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
          Two totally seperate issues. Please explain how someone in 2006 can be affected by something that happened to people they didn't know in 1806? Racism is not very much alive at all it is just that it is a very media friendly issue and I think that you will find that reverse discrimination is just as prevalent.

Because they STILL feel that even after 200 years black people are STILL not all treated equal.
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            No SallyAnne, I won't "admit" it happened, I'll "acknowledge" it happened, like Krakatoa, the ice age, and the invention of the telephone.

Frankly I don't care what that "black chick" (sic) thinks. She should be feckin grateful she didn't live in the past, rather than getting bitter and twisted about it. I'm sure many of my forebears had a hard life too.

Again, for those who missed it the first 7 times I said it, it's not you who is apologising - its the country.

Why is everyone taking this so personally? No one is asking YOU to apologise - you're not going to be made to go up to every black person you see and apolosie. Its the country which has to - as a point of record.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Because they STILL feel that even after 200 years black people are STILL not all treated equal.
              Equal? Equal to whom or to what? We are not all equal and it is ridiculous to try and make it so - hundreds of years of communism has proved that it is unworkable. I treat everyone I meet in the same way regardless of creed or colour and I think most people do the same. Please give examples of the ways in which you believe that black people are not 'equal'

Comment

Again, for those who missed it the first 7 times I said it, it's not you who is apologising - its the country.

Why is everyone taking this so personally? No one is asking YOU to apologise - you're not going to be made to go up to every black person you see and apolosie. Its the country which has to - as a point of record.
                A country cannot apologise it is an inanimate object

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                  How much is racisim and how much is people categorising events as racist events because the people involved have different coloured skin.

If a white man mugs a white man it is a mugging

If a white man mugs a black man it is a racist attack....

Is it not just possible that the white man is mugging scum and should be locked up for being a mugger ??

I remember when I was little we had a a shop run by a muslim family in our village. Everybody in the village reffered to his shop as the pakki shop. He never suffered any racist abuse, he sold some wonderful pickles and chutneys and everybody got on very well wth him. It wasn't until I was about 15 that I realised that the word pakki could be used as a racial slur, however if you had got a PC idiot into our village they would have had a field da painting us all as racist white supremists.

I'm not saying that there isn't racism about because there clearly is, however is racism as big a problem as it is made out to be? Or is a lot of it a convenient label for a lot of bad/unforgivable behaviour that would happen anyway.

No - it *may* be described as a racist attack if a white man beat up a black man with no apparent provocation. (And vice versa).
                  In your situations both are clearly muggings, and AGAIN the fact that you think otherwise is AGAIN making me want to go COMPLETELY ******* INSANE!!!!!
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    So it was you, you barstard!
                    Sorry m8, cheques in the post

Comment

One of the wealthiest people I've ever met was a black canadian man who's grandmother was an escaped slave. He held no grudge, worked most of his life for Sachs and retired at 50.

I'm sure if we all look hard enough we can think of reasons for why we don't get what we want, the people who succeed just get on with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X