• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCP the next toxic debt threat or is it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCP the next toxic debt threat or is it?

A lot in the press re the massive amount of money tied up in PCP car plans.
    Propped up by presumed high final values which relies heavily on high used car prices

I don't see where the risk or personal debt elephant is to the individuals though
    So if it all goes tits up people lose a runabout hardly the same as losing a home

Where is the liability and the true cost burden?
    Is it with the manufacturer's, FT said VW have 150 billion tied up on PCP that's quite a bit.
    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

I'm sure they will find a way of passing any losses on to the customer. Don't have PCP myself so can't check if there are any small print clauses saying the vendor/finance co have the right to renegotiate terms mid contract. It's probably in there somewhere I'd hazard a guess.

Can anyone confirm?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

yeah ~I'd be interested in anyone in the know explaining in detail the pitfalls.

I'd love a new car but am put off as something about it doesn't feel right. Sticking with my gut for the time being.
      Last edited by radish2008; 14 July 2017, 14:06. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
        A lot in the press re the massive amount of money tied up in PCP car plans.
        Propped up by presumed high final values which relies heavily on high used car prices

I don't see where the risk or personal debt elephant is to the individuals though
        So if it all goes tits up people lose a runabout hardly the same as losing a home

Where is the liability and the true cost burden?
        Is it with the manufacturer's, FT said VW have 150 billion tied up on PCP that's quite a bit.
        You can be made bankrupt for debts of £5k so it could threaten the roof over your head.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          You can be made bankrupt for debts of £5k so it could threaten the roof over your head.
          PCP is more of a systemic risk to the banks - everybody's roof threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            PCPs you can return the car at the end of the agreement.

And your rights under the CCA say you can return the car after 50% of the agreement has been paid.

In both cases any damage above wear and tear needs to be paid for, so this is the only way they could claw money back from the customer.

Comment

PCP is one of the pillars of the powerhouse UK economy, you traitor and saboteur.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                PCP is one of the pillars of the powerhouse UK economy, you traitor and saboteur.
                Indeed. Along with out 0.000001% growth rate. The highest growth rate in the UK.

Comment

PCP is an American innovation and pretty much everyone over there buy cars via this instrument. What has really changed from the traditional finance is that the upfront deposit and monthly payments are pretty low and the final payment is huge, so huge that its almost impossible to pay that. So punters are told to trade in that car and get a new one and the cycle continues. What this means is that you could be paying for years but have nothing to show for it in terms of assets.

These days you can buy an Audi or Merc on PCP for less than 300 quid which was pretty unheard of, which is reflected on the roads, you see only Audi or Merc these days on the roads. But the final payment on these cars are huge since they depreciate less.

I have heard the doom stories but I am not convinced that its got the same legs as the sub prime crisis that hit us during the housing boom.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    These days you can buy an Audi or Merc on PCP for less than 300 quid which was pretty unheard of, which is reflected on the roads, you see only Audi or Merc these days on the roads. But the final payment on these cars are huge since they depreciate less.
                    No final payment on majority of those (which is why it got so crazy popular) - they rely on secondary market instead, so if the bottom falls off that market then the whole system crashes, with banks on the hook for all this lending.

And who knows whether banks used those "packaged" loans as some kind of security to do leveraged speculations?

Comment

Working...
                    X