• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conservative poll lead over Labour narrows to just one point

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    If Labour can erode a 16 point Tory lead in as many days then he's unstoppable.

Go Labour, save Britain from the elite.
    These polls are complete and utter smeg. I'll happily come back and eat my words if I'm wrong, but there's overwhelming evidence that the stable of polls that use self-reported turnout (YouGov, Survation etc.) are off by miles. They make heroic assumptions about youth turnout that would be completely unprecedented, and are currently unsupported by anecdotal evidence. By way of contrast, the polls that use historical precedent and demographics to filter turnout (ComRes, ICM etc.) are still showing a substantial lead for the Tories. When the polls are this far apart, you need to look at the substance of what they're telling you, and it's all about youth turnout. Are 80% of 18-40yr olds going to turnout? If they do, it will be closer to what YouGov and Survation are saying. They won't.

There's a ton of anecodotal evidence from both parties that is supporting the above analysis. For example, see here for an unvarnished assessment from within Labour.

Labour are going to lose on Thursday, and they are going to lose big. Certainly, the polls have tightened; this always happens, but it has been a substantial and consistent tightening. Labour are not going to lose as badly as many would've predicted at the start of the campaign (although that always seemed unlikely). However, they absolutely are going to lose, and resoundingly so.

80+ seat Tory majority, I predict. I hope I'm wrong; I'd prefer Mayhem to get a good kicking and receive only a small majority.

We'll see who's right on Thursday PM

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Exactly. On EU referendum night didn't the Remainers all happily trot off to bed at 10pm, having been assured they had the whole thing safely in the bag?

(I didn't stay up for that, as I was gloomily under the same impression.)
      I seem to recall there wasn't an exit poll.

I stayed up for Sunderland, and well, couldn't stop from watching history unfold. Amazing night. Gives me goose bumps.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

I stayed up for Sunderland, and well, couldn't stop from watching history unfold. Amazing night. Gives me goose bumps.
        It was a referendum, not an election.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Exit polls work by targeting marginals seats and comparing against a baseline (i.e. the last comparable election). There's no baseline with a referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            The BBC exit poll at 10pm on Thursday will tell you all you need to know.
            And the graphics used may well have been created by tiny a little outfit called Idonix working out of an old Bank in Much Wenlock High St.
            IDONIX > What We've Done
            So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              These polls are complete and utter smeg. I'll happily come back and eat my words if I'm wrong, but there's overwhelming evidence that the stable of polls that use self-reported turnout (YouGov, Survation etc.) are off by miles. They make heroic assumptions about youth turnout that would be completely unprecedented, and are currently unsupported by anecdotal evidence. By way of contrast, the polls that use historical precedent and demographics to filter turnout (ComRes, ICM etc.) are still showing a substantial lead for the Tories. When the polls are this far apart, you need to look at the substance of what they're telling you, and it's all about youth turnout. Are 80% of 18-40yr olds going to turnout? If they do, it will be closer to what YouGov and Survation are saying. They won't.

There's a ton of anecodotal evidence from both parties that is supporting the above analysis. For example, see here for an unvarnished assessment from within Labour.

Labour are going to lose on Thursday, and they are going to lose big. Certainly, the polls have tightened; this always happens, but it has been a substantial and consistent tightening. Labour are not going to lose as badly as many would've predicted at the start of the campaign (although that always seemed unlikely). However, they absolutely are going to lose, and resoundingly so.

80+ seat Tory majority, I predict. I hope I'm wrong; I'd prefer Mayhem to get a good kicking and receive only a small majority.

We'll see who's right on Thursday PM
              It's supposed to be pissing down with rain in much of the country on Thursday. Wonder if this is likely to deter a particular age group more than any other?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                It's supposed to be pissing down with rain in much of the country on Thursday. Wonder if this is likely to deter a particular age group more than any other?
                It has been said that poor weather deters Labour voters.
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                  Yes, no, or maybe. Opinions vary. Here's a recent one that suggests no impact on overall turnout.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    TAre 80% of 18-40yr olds going to turnout? If they do, it will be closer to what YouGov and Survation are saying. They won't.
                    The pollsters got Brexit wrong because a couple of million people who don't usually vote unexpectedly turned up and voted Leave, which they probably wouldn't have done had it not looked close. They smelled the victory and the way the polls narrowed from "no chance" to "close but probably not" must have influenced the result. And we see the same thing here: Corbyn's gone from pretty much being a laughing stock 6 weeks ago to looking like a distinct possibility and maybe that gets the traditionally non-voting young to see that they might be able to make a difference for once. Not least because they were screwed over by the oldies on Brexit.

All of which is a good argument for banning polls and simply having the bloody vote.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      maybe that gets the traditionally non-voting young to see that they might be able to make a difference for once.
                      Not if it is raining and they have their lunches to snapchat around their virtuous circle of facebook friends.

HTH
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X