• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who else is buying British and avoiding EU goods where possible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    What evidences? Give us examples.
    This is very vague I was expecting more from you.
    You have to be well educated and well read. Sorry there are no short cuts.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well, I for one find most British products, especially food, clothes and drinks wonderful.

Here's a few of my favourites.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/50-british-brands/

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Well, I for one find most British products, especially food, clothes and drinks wonderful.

Here's a few of my favourites.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/50-british-brands/
        you are funny.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Here's a graph (it's actually quite old, but can't be bothered to find a more recent one)

It's how much we import in goods minus exports.

We are haemorrhaging money on buying foreign made goods.

But if you think about it, although we might buy a brand new £150K car every few months, generally most of our money goes on food, transport and energy. If we can buy British we reduce the money vanishing from Britain, pay someone's wages, who pays tax and themselves buy more British goods.

Otherwise, it's an exponential drop in demand for British goods, meaning more debt, and low investment in the UK economy.

Ultimately we end up fooked.

HTH BIDI
          (mostly because you are a thick, liberal, Guardian reading snowflake moron)
          OK I wont resort to childish name calling as I am open to persuasion where people I believe are of reasonable intelligence and have a valid argument and I in return will also set out my argument with the same respect.

Firstly you have said that most of this deficit is from Food , Transport and Energy. So lets take the easy one first Transport, from that I presume you are talking about oil we refine from Saudi Arabia and other oil producing nations, so how do you propose making that in the UK ? The only oil we have in any great quantity is in the North Sea and that is largely made into industrial grease and heavy oil. Instead of just blindly stating your wishes in a Utopia Britain how about telling us how we will produce in the UK the 9.3 million tonnes of oil we will need in 2019 ? Electric cars wont cut it, most people cant afford one and we only bought 53000 in 2015.

Food, now the reason for food being so imported is down to choice, many of the foods we like and expect to see in a supermarket are grown abroad in better climates and harvested with reasonably cheap labour, so your going to tell the British electorate sorry but the only foods you can have are ones we grow here and that's it, we could certainly downsize our supermarkets to corner shops.

Energy, well there you might have a point but hang on didn't we sell off our Energy companies to foreigners ? As a trader I know the huge investment we have in our energy industry from abroad is massive, especially from the Australians who we are trying to cut deals with, what you going to do tell these investors sorry but you loose we are taking our energy companies back ? I one foul swoop you would stop any investment in the UK for decades, especially from the Chinese our biggest investors and a country this government has encouraged to build nuclear power plants here.
          Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
            OK I wont resort to childish name calling as I am open to persuasion where people I believe are of reasonable intelligence and have a valid argument and I in return will also set out my argument with the same respect.

Firstly you have said that most of this deficit is from Food , Transport and Energy. So lets take the easy one first Transport, from that I presume you are talking about oil we refine from Saudi Arabia and other oil producing nations, so how do you propose making that in the UK ? The only oil we have in any great quantity is in the North Sea and that is largely made into industrial grease and heavy oil. Instead of just blindly stating your wishes in a Utopia Britain how about telling us how we will produce in the UK the 9.3 million tonnes of oil we will need in 2019 ? Electric cars wont cut it, most people cant afford one and we only bought 53000 in 2015.

Food, now the reason for food being so imported is down to choice, many of the foods we like and expect to see in a supermarket are grown abroad in better climates and harvested with reasonably cheap labour, so your going to tell the British electorate sorry but the only foods you can have are ones we grow here and that's it, we could certainly downsize our supermarkets to corner shops.

Energy, well there you might have a point but hang on didn't we sell off our Energy companies to foreigners ? As a trader I know the huge investment we have in our energy industry from abroad is massive, especially from the Australians who we are trying to cut deals with, what you going to do tell these investors sorry but you loose we are taking our energy companies back ? I one foul swoop you would stop any investment in the UK for decades, especially from the Chinese our biggest investors and a country this government has encouraged to build nuclear power plants here.
            TL; DR. This is dim you shouldn't take him seriously.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post

Food is choice, so change your shopping habits. Sorted and British quality food is excellent.

Transport, we have shale gas, so make that a focus for investment.

Beyond that, it's not really that hard to make a difference if you spend 5 minutes researching it.

Comment

Food is choice, so change your shopping habits. Sorted and British quality food is excellent.

Transport, we have shale gas, so make that a focus for investment.

Beyond that, it's not really that hard to make a difference if you spend 5 minutes researching it.
                Actually I do buy British food, mainly Duchy from Prince Charles farm because I reckon he's the one chap who won't need to cut corners.
                none of this is going to help post Brexit though.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  You have to be well educated and well read. Sorry there are no short cuts.

Why I should import lettuce If I can produce better quality lettuce.
                  Do you know what Protectionism is? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post

Why I should import lettuce If I can produce better quality lettuce.
                    Do you know what Protectionism is? I don't think so.
                    You've just proved you don't.
                    HTH. BIKIW.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Actually it works if enough people do it.

Buy the British goods, the company expands,hires more people to meet the demand, makes more profit, pays more taxes.

It's not rocket science, but it goes against your anti-British rhetoric, fed to you by the Guardian and other such liberal vomit rags.
                      First of all, what goods? Now say that Britain decides to make theses goods that everyone wants, where will they get the raw materials from nad then, who is going to make them? Maybe that Brexiter and all round patriot Dyson might move his manufacturing back to the UK
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X