• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from Red Ken

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Do you REALLY believe this?
    The Beeb said it was so! Therefore this must be the truth!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by expat
      A couple of TV and radio stations do not an important cultutal institution make; it is the productions that the BBC bring about, that commercial TV would not, that are what make it so.

I am not suggesting that the BBC is all of British culture. And indeed, if I could only have either Shakespear or the BBC, I'd take Shakespeare. But he's not an institution, he's an artist. I do think the country is in a sad way with what remains of its culture, but the BBC, at least on its good days, is a light in this darkness, not a greater darkness.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
        The Beeb said it was so! Therefore this must be the truth!

Mailman
        Don't confuse revealing the true agenda of the republican government with anti-american. They are not America, as the recent elections have proven.
        The republican government with the most unpopular president since RIchard Nixon. The Republican government that has just recieved a massive kicking from the American population, is that anti-american?
        I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
          Don't confuse revealing the true agenda of the republican government with anti-american. They are not America, as the recent elections have proven.
          The republican government with the most unpopular president since RIchard Nixon. The Republican government that has just recieved a massive kicking from the American population, is that anti-american?
          I see the beeb has got to you!

Mailman

Comment

I see the beeb has got to you!

Mailman
            No the facts got to me. You get the facts when the American population votes and the fact is they like Bush much less than you do, and they managed to make up their minds without the BBC.
            I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Mailman
              Yes. Do you have any idea about what a culture, or a national institution, might be?

Comment

The beeb at its best is indeed great. Look at Planet Earth, BBC 4, Panorama etc. No other broadcasting organisation would even think about this stuff.
                On the other hand it is sometimes just too PC.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Watching good programmes that are not constantly interrupted with repetitive mind-numbing adverts is worth 10 quid a month, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    The beeb at its best is indeed great. Look at Planet Earth, BBC 4, Panorama etc. No other broadcasting organisation would even think about this stuff.

Have you seen television in any other country ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                      Have you seen television in any other country ?
                      The US: the best program(me)s are denoted by "a WGBH/BBC TV co-production".

France: sans commentaire.

Comment

Working...
                      X