• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    What is the red line on that graph and is it calculated or drawn more arbitrary?
    200 day moving average. The blue one the 50 day moving average.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      It is where Scooter was testing his new red crayon (whilst poking out his tongue with the concentration effort)
      while most of the hate has me not posting on here at the moment...i have to say the mental image of this did make me laugh
      edit: mostly because the tongue thing is something i know i do
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

"Russian operatives used cryptocurrency at almost every stage in their online efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, according to Special Counsel Robert Mueller's final report on his investigation." So says CNN, adding that "Systems used in the hacking of the Democratic Party were paid for using Bitcoin, as were online hosting services that supported websites which published hacked materials and were used in the targeting of disinformation at American voters."

Bitcoin Couldn't Hide Russia's Operatives From Mueller's Investigation - Slashdot

Good enough reason to make it criminal offense to use proxy-"money" for buying/selling goods and services.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          "Russian operatives used cryptocurrency at almost every stage in their online efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, according to Special Counsel Robert Mueller's final report on his investigation." So says CNN, adding that "Systems used in the hacking of the Democratic Party were paid for using Bitcoin, as were online hosting services that supported websites which published hacked materials and were used in the targeting of disinformation at American voters."

Bitcoin Couldn't Hide Russia's Operatives From Mueller's Investigation - Slashdot

Good enough reason to make it criminal offense to use proxy-"money" for buying/selling goods and services.
          The bitcoin blockchain is transparent...no wonder they got caught. if only they'd used cash
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Yeah if only cyber criminals used cash - they’d have to travel a lot thereby giving chance to law enforcement to arrest then, instead they used cryptotulips in total safety of Russia, China, North Korea

Comment

Yeah if only cyber criminals used cash - they’d have to travel a lot thereby giving chance to law enforcement to arrest then, instead they used cryptotulips in total safety of Russia, China, North Korea
              I feel you're intentionally missing the point for an argument. ...but I'll bite. Criminals in Russia don't likely buy and send USD or send Roubles to the USA to transact with.
              They more likely use the (already cleaned) stashes they already have in the target country/city/state (from their massive illegal operations) to fund these things.
              The increasing use of mixers for crypto transactions is probably going to be a catalyst for sending crypto for illegal means. I do think that the use of mixers is akin to money laundering or will simply be used for tax evasion.

Comment

Oh dear (TM): | Fortune

"According to a 23-page legal filing, Bitfinex raided the reserves of a so-called stablecoin called Tether—a digital currency purportedly backed one-to-one by U.S. dollars—in order to pay out customers demanding withdrawals from the exchange.

“The situation looks bad. We have more than 500 withdrawals pending and they keep coming in … [T]oo much money is parked with you and we are currently walking on a very thin crust of ice,” reads a message from a Bitfinex executive who used the name “Merlin.”

Merlin also warns his contact, “Oz,” that the situation posed a grave threat to the larger crypto industry and that Bitcoin “could tank” to below $1,000 if they didn’t act quickly."

So, as expected the whole thing is a fraud - "value" was manipulated by people who had vested interest in it.

Comment

Jaguar Land Rover Owners Will Soon Be Able to Earn IOTA for Sharing Data

In a surprise announcement, Britain’s largest auto manufacturer, Jaguar, has said that it is currently testing software which will allow drivers to earn IOTA (MIOTA). The reward will be given to drivers who opt for data-sharing, stored in the car’s own smart wallet.

A pilot software is currently being tested by Jaguar which should send waves throughout the auto and cryptocurrency industries when completed. The company announced they are working on an IOTA ‘smart wallet’ built inside the Jaguar Land Rover series.

The wallet will automatically store IOTA rewards given to drivers when they report useful data such as traffic congestion or even potholes. Drivers would also earn IOTA if they engage in ride-sharing programs. The earned IOTA will be able to be used for tolls, parking, and charging electric cars.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

“The situation looks bad. We have more than 500 withdrawals pending and they keep coming in … [T]oo much money is parked with you and we are currently walking on a very thin crust of ice,” reads a message from a Bitfinex executive who used the name “Merlin.”

Merlin also warns his contact, “Oz,” that the situation posed a grave threat to the larger crypto industry and that Bitcoin “could tank” to below $1,000 if they didn’t act quickly."

I know this might be difficult to understand, but Bitfinex does not own Bitcoin.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      I know this might be difficult to understand, but Bitfinex does not own Bitcoin.
                      No, it appears they merely manipulated exchange rate of it

Comment

Working...
                      X