• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    All of it? Fair play thats risky.....

I put £10K in last year and made a nice little earner - about 250%. Not sure I'd put all of it at the moment.

You with H-L by any chance?
    yup... I'm not too concerned but it was a chunk of dough for sure.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 5 June 2018, 12:40.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      no because I'm still up 10,000+%

Also at the begining of this thread I said 2018 will be 'the year', I'll cash out by the year's end. Maybe. Surely I'll leave some in.
      Spoiler alert, 2017 was 'the year'!

Comment

I've just taken a screen shot of that - but thanks for reminding, what a year that was

Right now you can still turn $5000 into $0.5m in the next two years with equal position sizes in the right ideas.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've just taken a screen shot of that - but thanks for reminding, what a year that was

Right now you can still turn $5000 into $0.5m in the next two years with equal position sizes in the right ideas.
          best of luck to you

Comment

That's just reminded me of another lesson learned from this year...too many ALTs held. Holding loads is fine if you want to hold and forget for a year or so.
            If, like me, you're interested in trading dips then holding 20+ options (like I am) that you have to track individually is just not doable unless you're full time...which I'm not.
            Don't even get me started on the various exchanges you need to be on to get some ALTs...I like bittrex as it works and is fluid. Move to Binance though...how does anyone trade on that? The minute volume comes in the whole system grinds to a halt and you can't trade.

Since I only trade dips and don't buy breakouts then it eases it a bit as you order your wallets by % gain and then do a bit of TA on the few that have shown big gains that day. The trouble comes when you have one that is consistently doing well day to day without blowing through the roof. All of a sudden it'll drop into a correction that you never saw coming and you miss the opportunity to make some gains. Think I need a paper and pen to make some old fashioned notes on that I can just track every day/every other day to see where they are.
            I like paper and pen
            Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Reading this thread every now and then is simply incredible.

Why do you trust ScooterScot? One person getting in at the correct time is pure chance. If he had jumped in after the significant BitCoin (segwit coin?) increase then he wouldn't have made as much cash/profit ('paper' win - did he even sell?) as he did. Anybody can read the ALT-coin proposal papers: they are mostly junk. They raise more questions than they answer. They are a gamble - and just that.

This whole thing has echoes of the quasireligious nutters who claim some form of god(s) are on their way back tomorrow - be prepared!

The general public have been warned off buying cryptocurrencies. You need that lot on board. They were on board when it shot up in price, due to the madness of the crowds, but now that it's back to normal levels, it's plain to see your average person is no longer interested and sees these as exactly what they are: variable gambling.

If you've made a tidy sum or lost a small percentage of your holding, get out and use the money during the next financial downturn, which we are clearly already in the throws of. Transferring all your life savings and/or pension into bit/alt/coins in general is ridiculous. You need a balanced portfolio and I would honestly suggest that if you simply MUST buy cryptocurrencies then you should make them 5percent of your portfolio or less.

I imagine most of you cannot see the wood for the trees around you, but it's never nice to watch people lose money.

Scootsydoobydoo: you may be a lucky guy, with good contracting background and varied experienced - but you are no skilled gambler. It's luck. You have convinced yourself you are correct due to one run of good fortune. That is madness and I hope you recognise that, lest your comeuppance emerge sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                The general public You need that lot on board.
                Some dudes suggest that will happen when the first 'killer use' appears, one which introduces a human behavior change akin to to the uptake of email - it's not here yet.

"Apple Co-Founder’s High Hopes for Bitcoin
                Steve Wozniak, the genius co-founder of Apple Computers, has once again spoken about his fascination with the tech and principles of bitcoin. “Bitcoin is mathematically defined, there is a certain quantity of bitcoin, there’s a way it’s distributed… and it’s pure and there’s no human running, there’s no company running and it’s just… growing and growing… and surviving, that to me says something that is natural and nature is more important than all our human conventions,” he told CNBC. “Only bitcoin is pure digital gold… and I totally buy into that,” Woz added.
                June 2018

Comment

Why do you trust ScooterScot? One person getting in at the correct time is pure chance. If he had jumped in after the significant BitCoin (segwit coin?) increase then he wouldn't have made as much cash/profit ('paper' win - did he even sell?) as he did. Anybody can read the ALT-coin proposal papers: they are mostly junk. They raise more questions than they answer. They are a gamble - and just that.

This whole thing has echoes of the quasireligious nutters who claim some form of god(s) are on their way back tomorrow - be prepared!

The general public have been warned off buying cryptocurrencies. You need that lot on board. They were on board when it shot up in price, due to the madness of the crowds, but now that it's back to normal levels, it's plain to see your average person is no longer interested and sees these as exactly what they are: variable gambling.

If you've made a tidy sum or lost a small percentage of your holding, get out and use the money during the next financial downturn, which we are clearly already in the throws of. Transferring all your life savings and/or pension into bit/alt/coins in general is ridiculous. You need a balanced portfolio and I would honestly suggest that if you simply MUST buy cryptocurrencies then you should make them 5percent of your portfolio or less.

I imagine most of you cannot see the wood for the trees around you, but it's never nice to watch people lose money.

Scootsydoobydoo: you may be a lucky guy, with good contracting background and varied experienced - but you are no skilled gambler. It's luck. You have convinced yourself you are correct due to one run of good fortune. That is madness and I hope you recognise that, lest your comeuppance emerge sooner.
                  WHS - Please don't bet anything you can't afford to lose, these bubbles have come and gone for hundreds of years and the phrase - 'here comes the stupid money' exists for a reason.

Comment

blah blah.. etc etc...

screen shot no. 2 today

1st off, I never given nor do I financial advice. Your decision are your own.

2nd off, I'd only advocate investing a sum you're happy to loose.

3rd off, it's not luck. I'm practicing statistics / stochastic processes on a weekly basis with my client models, I've just never had an opportunity like this before to practice on an immature asset class.

Why do late comers always insist it's luck? And the proceed to wishing for my downfall? That's just bitterness.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                      best of luck to you
                      Ta!

Luck is not a factor,
                      Fear is not an option...

Name the film:

I'll do my best... To which the Sean replies, Your best? Losers are always whining on about doing their best. Winners go home and f@£$ the prom queen.

Comment

Working...
                      X