• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post
    I do wonder if/how those 2nd tier Lightning transactions will ever be settled, especially with the system scaled up.....who'll be left carrying the smelly stick?

Originally a simple idea, which didn't scale, forks like crazy then extra layers of complexity added.......a recipe for something.
    2nd only to a horse for converting money into tulip!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Get a BMW. Favourite amongst IT types.
      2nd fav to Audi. Both don't have indicators so you can code while driving.

Comment

It does feel like the calm before the storm in that bitcoin and 'crypto' continue to seep into mainstream consciousness and will soon become ubiquitous one way or another.

Ask anyone 'on the street' what they understand about cryptocurrency and they'll likely say 'nothing, but it's bitcoin isn't it?'. So that's bitcoin's USP regardless of any blockchain deviation add-ons, it's a brand that continues to smash the opposition in all the ways that matter.

Just recently I've seen crypto (though not bitcoin specifically) mentioned on several TV shows. Billions had the boss give one of his staff a usb flash drive containing a cold wallet of '1 million in crypto', and has referenced crypto other times as a way of doing anonymous off the book transactions.

Silicon Valley last week (though I've not yet seen the season finale that aired last night on Sky to see how it turned out) had the main protagonists go down the Initial Coin Offering route to get funds instead of rely on a VC that wanted too much say on the business. Dragons Den must be tulipting itself, there's a new game in town that doesn't involve giving away 50% of your business and having to put up with the smug know-it-all dragons.

Still not sure how easy it will be to make money speculating on future value and whether to drip more £££s into bitcoin and the main players. Not got as far as trading between the alts like some have done well on here doing. Likely will be too slow to the party if it's not all over yet.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          protagonists go down the Initial Coin Offering route to get funds instead of rely on a VC that wanted too much say on the business. Dragons Den must be tulipting itself, there's a new game in town that doesn't involve giving away 50% of your business and having to put up with the smug know-it-all dragons.
          ICOing Is 'Easy' - 100% Unregulated So Theoretically Can Be Done By Anyone 'In A Bedroom' In Spare Time
          No product needed, not even a prototype, just an idea.
          Create Web site, create solidity smart contract from template, promote on 'upcoming ico' web sites/forums, shill, wait for crypto.
          Financial risk - peanuts .. cost of developing & hosting website/contract/Internet shilling

Surviving Post ICO Is Hard
          Bitcoin.com Feb 2018 ICO Survey
          902 ICOs
          46% Failed
          14 failed to reach fundraising target
          276 folded after ICO
          8 received $0
          $233 million raised by failed ICOs

Exit Scams Exist
          Immediately after ICO, 'run with money' 1st class to the sun and close/trash web site
          e.g.
          Modern Tech/Pincoin
          Prodeum

Comment

The cryptocurrency Market Capitalization settled at USD 333B at 03:00 PM UTC on Thursday, May 24. In your opinion, will the Market climb above 400B USD at any time before June 15?
            Indicator: 28.21%

The cryptocurrency Market Capitalization settled at USD 333B at 03:00 PM UTC on Thursday, May 24. In your opinion, will the Market drop below 300B USD at any time before June 2?
            Indicator: 30.29%

Comment

London Police Seize Bitcoin Worth $667,000 From Hacker:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...00-from-hacker

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Still not sure how easy it will be to make money speculating on future value and whether to drip more £££s into bitcoin and the main players. Not got as far as trading between the alts like some have done well on here doing. Likely will be too slow to the party if it's not all over yet.
                It won't be. That's why earlier in this thread I've been banging on about 2018 will be the mother of all bull runs in the crypto market. It'll be the year when a few techies interested in something called Block chain goes mainstream with institutional investment. An investment opportunity like the one about to unfold will not occur again for another 20-30 years.

Beyond speculation there's now an opportunity to buy into the facebook / Google of blockchain. I've already said what those projects are. More than likely in 10 years time you'll 50,000-100,000x your money with them. Put it another way, imagine buying Apple of Microsoft shares and the year is 1990. That's where we are with blockchain at the minute.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I hope you're right. If institutional investors do pile in then as long as you're holding the right cryptos everyone wins.

At least if it goes how you think we can be in early enough cheaply enough for the risk to not really matter. Play the long game and see if a few grand (for those of us just playing around the edges ) does turn into a decent sum by retirement. Even if it's just another investment pot alongside the other more traditional ones.

Looks like cryptos are here to stay so may as well have a position in the game however small.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Not 'if' but 'when'.

One of my frustrations during the 90's was full well knowing MP3's were about to transform how we listened to portable music. I recall coming across my first CD stuffed with MP3's in the mid 90s, this will be big I thought. I just had no money to invest what with being a student.

The decentralisation of money, information, computing power - you name it - anything that is controlled or monopolised by the few is about to be transformed.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      It won't be. That's why earlier in this thread I've been banging on about 2018 will be the mother of all bull runs in the crypto market. It'll be the year when a few techies interested in something called Block chain goes mainstream with institutional investment. An investment opportunity like the one about to unfold will not occur again for another 20-30 years.

Beyond speculation there's now an opportunity to buy into the facebook / Google of blockchain. I've already said what those projects are. More than likely in 10 years time you'll 50,000-100,000x your money with them. Put it another way, imagine buying Apple of Microsoft shares and the year is 1990. That's where we are with blockchain at the minute.
                      Including Verge, a known tulipcoin?

Comment

Working...
                      X