• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Exactly, selling high buying low.
    That's not shorting. Shorting is borrowing crypto, selling for 10 quid , buying back cheaper for 5 quid , return the crypto and pocket the 5 quid.

The problem with this is if the price goes up instead of down. You still have to return the crypto but you have unlimited risk
    Because you don't know how much it will cost to buy back. Unless you have a crypto reserve you can dip into this is risky.

What you are doing has limited downside risk. Once you've sold out you have no risk. You profit is your original buy price minus your sell price (disregarding position size). When the price falls and you buy lower this is a new trade. You have not necessarily profited from the previous sell. This is basic accounting. So when you buy lower it remains to be seen what the profit is. You have not profited from the fall in price.
    Last edited by Tonymustwearbriefs; 8 January 2018, 20:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonymustwearbriefs View Post
      You have not analysed the projects and determined their correlations? And used that to diversify your position?
      "estimating where the price of Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency will go is pure guesswork"
      2018 will be the year of Bitcoin's rivals

Comment

So when you say you are diversified you mean you have a number of coins? (With and without BTC exposure).

You have not analysed the projects and determined their correlations? And used that to diversify your position?

As far as I understand it, a diversified stock portfolio captures the overall growth of the equity market , but negates subsector losses by correlating stock selections such that one market specific loss cancels another market specific growth in a predictable way.

For example, you might hold Pirelli and Vespa. Both are transport devices and since population is increasing both will have overall growth due to growing demand. But if cars sell less Pirelli will lose and Vespa gain (let's say in this simple model scooter or car are the only options).

Of all the projects I'm invested in I've done three things:

1) Understand the project and the team behind it. Read the white paper aways, don't throw money at something you know nothing about. That's what Vegas is for.

2) Understand the potential for growth.

3) Understand the social awareness, if it's super low - then I fill my boots.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Receiving a few hundred dollars a week since I bought into Force (FOR). Currently pays out $44k a year for owning a master node, which will set you back 3.67 BTC's.

https://masternodes.online/currencies/FOR/

It'll only become more difficult to buy a master node if the price takes off.
          Last edited by scooterscot; 8 January 2018, 20:41.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Of all the projects I'm invested in I've done three things:

1) Understand the project and the team behind it. Read the white paper aways, don't throw money at something you know nothing about. That's what Vegas is for.

2) Understand the potential for growth.

3) Understand the social awareness, if it's super low - then I fill my boots.
            So you're more of an investor than a trader.

You believe in crypto.

You buy and hold long term.

Comment

That's not shorting. Shorting is borrowing crypto, selling for 10 quid , buying back cheaper for 5 quid , return the crypto and pocket the 5 quid.

The problem with this is if the price goes up instead of down. You still have to return the crypto but you have unlimited risk
              Because you don't know how much it will cost to buy back. Unless you have a crypto reserve you can dip into this is risky.

What you are doing has limited downside risk. Once you've sold out you have no risk. You profit is your original buy price minus your sell price (disregarding position size). When the price falls and you buy lower this is a new trade. You have not necessarily profited from the previous sell. This is basic accounting. So when you buy lower it remains to be seen what the profit is. You have not profited from the fall in price.

Not many people actually short or know how to in crypto. And to be honest, I think you'd be stupid to right now.

When BTC turns bear, for a sustained period of time like it did in 2013, I'll probably try out shorting.

Comment

Investor yes, for the long term. Tried day trading and I'm awful at it.

Yes, I believe in blockchain technology, it is the internet Mk II

Comment

Receiving a few hundred dollars a week since I bought into Force (FOR). Currently pays out $44k a year for owning a master node, which will set you back 3.67 BTC's.

https://masternodes.online/currencies/FOR/

It'll only become more difficult to buy a master node if the price takes off.
                  nice, probly already out of range for most of us casual punters already at 3.67BTC unless going for a shared setup.
                  I actually tried to acquire some force last week but it was too much agg on the markets where its currently listed.

Comment

Anyone got a view on LISK?

https://medium.com/cryptocurrency-ci...k-e39ca3138200

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/lisk/#charts
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Investor yes, for the long term. Tried day trading and I'm awful at it.

Yes, I believe in blockchain technology, it is the internet Mk II
                      What is it exactly about blockchain that impresses you so much?

Comment

Working...
                      X