• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Looking at this post, I believe people will think you are real fire when you have actually cashed a decent sum out .

I know people that have with actual Bitcoins, not any of these other crypto currencies.

Even then, I also know someone who lost £140K with Mount Gox, when trying to exchange Bitcoin to Fiat, as I have discussed before.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Even then, I also know someone who lost £140K with Mount Gox, when trying to exchange Bitcoin to Fiat, as I have discussed before.
      If you keep your money on a exchange it no longer belongs to you. Just like if you keep your money at the bank. You effectively give the bank a loan every time you make a deposit. It simply is not your money.

This is why I'm only keeping money in places that I control. If you don't learn you don't earn.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Yep and believe it or not he still has some coins.

Thing is he had made all that money, from very little, as he got into Bitcoin very, very, early.

Good darts for an HGV driver, I was gutted when it didn't work out for him.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        If you keep your money on a exchange it no longer belongs to you. Just like if you keep your money at the bank. You effectively give the bank a loan every time you make a deposit. It simply is not your money.

This is why I'm only keeping money in places that I control. If you don't learn you don't earn.
        I told you he didn't keep it on the exchange.
        It was stolen at the point of exchange.

Quite a costly "lesson" TBF.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

It was stolen at the point of exchange.
          How is that possible? You can't duplicate an address. Otherwise the blockchain would fail.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

How is that possible? You can't duplicate an address. Otherwise the blockchain would fail.
            I don't know the exact details as it was a long time ago now.

As far as I know he released the coins to exchange them for Fiat and then Mark Karpelès effectively stole the coins.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So it was not the coins fault but the user employing an untrustworthy exchange? Don't mean to be crass, but that can happen with any currency with anybody. Especially with that amount of cash. Always best to transfer a small amount at first to test.

Comment

So it was not the coins fault but the user employing an untrustworthy exchange? Don't mean to be crass, but that can happen with any currency with anybody. Especially with that amount of cash. Always best to transfer a small amount at first to test.
                At the time Mount Gox was the biggest and most probably the most trusted .
                As I said before, I know a number of people that had made transactions with them prior that were OK.

I will be interested to see how it all turns out for you
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I will be interested to see how it all turns out for you
                  Time will tell. You'll know, if I'm posting less on cUK then it's a win for everyone.

Comment

Banks got pretty hefty guarantee in case of failure - most people don't even have £10k cash in bank, nevermind £75k covered by guarantee.

Bitcoin got no guarantees - if it's stolen then it's gone.

Comment

Took about 2 weeks but now I can buy £325 worth of coins on Coinbase. Not that it helps if I can't buy from them. Checking my history I can see the first attempt to buy Liteoins. Whoever cancelled wasn't me nor my card.

Visa credit ********7673 £100.00 GBP Canceled May 7, 2017

Comment

Working...
                      X