• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent help & ideas needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thief
    People skills r not my strongpoint.
    no shit Sherlock.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by thief
      People skills r not my strongpoint.
      You are in the right place here then

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
        Have a tug before you go, there is NOTHING more embarrasing than getting a boner whilst standing up in front of the md's wife
        Unless, of course you're both in trap one of the "ladies", and she's about to put out!

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
          Ive had something similar - joined a team just before they had a big end of year do and was expected to attend...

Best not to plan or try to be funny.. if it happens that you make a quick quip, it happens... judge the mood when you get there... hopefully it will be after a period of time when some drinks have been flowing, and just say something neutral about how this is a great way to meet the people you will be working with, very pleased to be invited, briefly explain your role and how you are looking forward to having a chat with people during the evening.... if its a very formal occassion just leave it at that, if the CEO or someone else starts to chat to you simply answer politely. And smile a lot, without looking pissed.

Nobody will expect you to suddenly talk for 10 minutes as if giving a presentation... keep it short and sweet and neutral...

I didn't manage to read this before going, but I more or less followed the advice - I didn't prepare anything kept it short and sweet - smiled and it was really easy going.

The dinner had a murder mystery theme, so everyone was distracted with trying to find the murderer anyway, the table I was sitting at got the right answer and we won a bottle of Champagne

This morning we continued all this team building activities - we had a shepherd showing us how to herd geese by training the dog to do what we want him to do, and making him follow our orders ...heh!! This technique was to help us manage client relationships with other departments etc, then we did a mini generation game !!! ... it was fun day - and I got paid for it too

Comment

The dinner had a murder mystery theme, so everyone was distracted with trying to find the murderer anyway, the table I was sitting at got the right answer and we won a bottle of Champagne
            The last time I did one of these, me and Mrs BGG decided to slip in to character (we're roleplayers see) and the evening took a rather dramatic turn when we decided to progress the plot according to our character's motivations.

Whilst neither of us was the murderer, per se, we felt that we both had sufficient grounds to off the Old Colonel. (I think our rather bland A4 brief's said we were his best friends).

By the time we were finished, the genteel and somewhat eccentric Old Colonel was infact a coke-snorting sex maniac with a penchance for upper-crust totty.

I recall at this point, the organiser got a tad wee upset, but by then the damage was done. The Guests were starting to drop in to character and the whole table decended in to drink-fuelled chaos of rampant personalities and wild characterisations.

Everyone agreed it was the best MM they had ever done :-)

Team-building and mini-generation game ? My god, I thought all that malarkey went out with the 80's (or 90's).

Remember...there is no "I" in "Teamwork"......groan......
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
            X