• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Why do people insist on going with these old banks and all their charges?

You guys must like paying out money for nothing
    Indeed. See Martin Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
      However, they don't do business accounts (not the last time I checked anyway).
      From his post, ratewhore is on about a personal account, not business.

Go with Nationwide.

Comment

I would say forget about who has the best deal now, it's about continuity.

I've used nationwide for 8 years, in that time they haven't p1ssed me off once.

Over the same period my g/f had Barclays. She was paying hundreds of pounds a year for worse facillities. I imagine over that time she'd given barclays over a grand, while in the meantime they paid her 0.0000000001 % interest. I guess she had the Kudos of saying "I bank with Barclays" though, which you have to agree is worth every penny!
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

FFS, this is a contractor's forum - Coutts or one of the private banks + obligatory Swiss bank account please!

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
            FFS, this is a contractor's forum - Coutts or one of the private banks + obligatory Swiss bank account please!
            What for? I have nothing to hide.

Comment

Fecking Lloyds TSB had it for a long time for Platinum account (personal): get below £4000 and they charge £15

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                Or do you spend all of your income every month? If you do, what are you going to live on when you are between contracts?

tim

I'm going to live on the big balance in my business account which I'll continue to draw from - but thanks for asking...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                  So I got the letter from FD telling me they will be charging me a tenner a month as I don't meet their criteria. As a contractor with low salary and irregular (but hefty) divvies it is easy to fall outside that criteria even though you may be netting 5 times the permie who is depositing their £1500 take home every month, bless em.

Got in touch with them and they spouted the criteria again and refused to listen. So I can either switch banks (If you're paying for a bank account then at least make sure it is a premium one) or, I take one of their other products such as loans, mortgages etc.

Or - I take out one of their savings account and stick a quid in it!

But I'm minded just to say feck em...

Shut up u idiot. Switch your account and stop talking like you really have savings.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    What for? I have nothing to hide.
                    And if you think you can hide anything in a swiss account your are sadly mistaken!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                      And if you think you can hide anything in a swiss account your are sadly mistaken!

Mailman
                      I certainly don't, but I take it that's what other posters have in mind. Why get a Swiss account otherwise? They don't pay decent interest (and will take withholding from it and give it to your government). The CHF isn't appreciating at the moment. The best reason to have one is call centres that speak English!

Comment

Working...
                      X