• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official Budget 2017 DOOM thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JaredM View Post
    The government know of all workers that self-employed and limited company directors are least likely to put up any kind of protest.

I think it's time we organised a very strong protest that sends the government a very clear message. I'm thinking we all organise a 'sign-up as jobless' week and screw with their official unemployment rate.
    Dirty protest.

Comment

NI Increase

I have been reading these posts for a while now, so thank you to everyone who has contributed and provided helpful insight to on-going developments so far!

I have written to my local Tory MP (Fabricant) displaying my dismay at the NI increase against his party's pledge, I feel that's all I can do right now.

I have been told today that my current PS client has declared my role inside IR35 too, so I have declared myself on the bench in 2 weeks time along with all the other IT contractors who work there.

I only started my Ltd company in June last year, and feel my own government is determined for me to fail right now.

Keeping my head up though, good luck to everyone in similar positions!

John

Comment

Originally posted by bigthumper View Post
        I have been reading these posts for a while now, so thank you to everyone who has contributed and provided helpful insight to on-going developments so far!

I have written to my local Tory MP (Fabricant) displaying my dismay at the NI increase against his party's pledge, I feel that's all I can do right now.

I have been told today that my current PS client has declared my role inside IR35 too, so I have declared myself on the bench in 2 weeks time along with all the other IT contractors who work there.

I only started my Ltd company in June last year, and feel my own government is determined for me to fail right now.

Keeping my head up though, good luck to everyone in similar positions!

John
        Magnificent local MP!

Growing enigma of Mickey's wig
        Simon Hoggart

Thursday 15 May 2003 02.23 BST

Forget Iraq and the euro. A single topic dominated the Commons yesterday: what on earth had happened to Michael Fabricant's wig?
        It used to be roughly normal length, finishing round about the level of his ear lobes.

Yesterday the thing had reached his shoulders, a great lustrous cascade of tresses curling over and even caressing the collar of his jacket.

MPs on both sides of the chamber were transfixed with curiosity and awe. How could a wig not only grow but grow so fast to such a length?

In the press gallery one of my colleagues sat gazing at the sight, murmuring "gorgeous, quite gorgeous," to himself, for these were locks that would not have disgraced Michael Heseltine or even the original Tarzan, Johnny Weissmuller.

How many My Little Ponies, we asked, were slaughtered to make such a creation?

Theories were being urgently whispered among MPs and hacks. For example, it has been said that Mickey has many wigs, and tries to fool us by using the short one, then a slightly longer one, and finally the longest of the lot, before he pretends to have a haircut and goes back to the shortie.

But this was no subtle change. This was as startling and as sudden as it would have been if he had grown a second head.

There were three principle theories, and argument will persist until Hans Blix is sent in.

First, it is his winter wig and he picked it up by accident when he dressed yesterday morning. But this is not likely, since even in cold weather the wig is never quite this length.

Possibly the regular wig had met with a terrible accident. It could have melted and fused in the unseasonably warm weather we had in April. Or a bird of prey might have seized it for nesting: you could raise a family of kestrels in there.

Or - and this is my belief - the wig is actually growing. Just as Pinocchio was carved out of wood and became a living boy, the wig has embedded itself in the Fabricant skull and - thanks to some terrible genetic mutation - it has started to draw nourishment from his scalp.
        http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...mmons.politics

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Yes, he was the original "Agent Orange" before Trump took that title!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Why should Labour oppose Tory Scum increasing taxes? They are doing their job!

Komrade Korbyn can relax and wait 2020 when he gets in by a landslide, I'll probably vote for him too.

Yes, he will get in by a landslide and yes you should vote for him.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Hammond blames Brexit for tax increase.

Comment

Hammond blames Brexit for tax increase.
                He's heading straight for an embarrassing U-turn. These things go non-linear quickly...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  He's heading straight for an embarrassing U-turn. These things go non-linear quickly...
                  If he makes u-turn he'd have to increase dividend tax to make up for "the loss", this is where it's heading...

Comment

If he makes u-turn he'd have to increase dividend tax to make up for "the loss", this is where it's heading...
                    I doubt that specifically, because there's disquiet at that too, both on the Tory backbenches and even in the press. But I think you're right in general. Personally, I increasingly see this heading towards some sort of levy on companies and perhaps even PSBs that use self-employed workers/PSCs, akin to the bank levy, in order to fill the gap on ErNI. That won't get nearly the same pushback. The problem here was the focus on small businesses via EeNI and dividend tax.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      I doubt that specifically, because there's disquiet at that too, both on the Tory backbenches and even in the press.
                      The problem is that Tory Scum say one thing about targeting, but in reality they are deliberately casting much wider net.

Massive dividend hike gone in totally without opposition, now cutting dividend allowance, also zero opposition.

Those Tory Scum want to grab money not just from self employed, but also from pensioners who had to go to stock market to get some regular income from dividends.

Have you read about Republicans plan for border adjusted tax? Well worth reading - it would result in dropping Corp Tax in USA from 35% to 20%, so UK would have to do a lot better than current plan of 17% in year 5 million, obvious easy way now to make up for that "loss" is increasing tax on dividends, after all people who earn dividends won't be marching in millions to Downing Street 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X