• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployment at seven-year high

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hart-floot
    Looks like the rest of the country is subsidising London again? How come London has the worst unemployment rates?

Unemployment by region
    Last Updated: 11:19am GMT 15/11/2006

Jobless total at seven-year high

Total Three-month change Rate

North East 85,000 + 10,000 6.9%
    North West 190,000 + 11,000 5.6%
    Yorkshire/Humber 152,000 + 7,000 6.0%
    East Midlands 119,000 - 2,000 5.3%
    West Midlands 164,000 + 10,000 6.1%
    East 143,000 no change 5.0%
    London 321,000 + 6,000 8.0%
    South East 195,000 - 6,000 4.5%
    South West 100,000 + 4,000 3.9%
    Wales 77,000 - 4,000 5.4%
    Scotland 131,000 - 10,000 5.0%
    Northern Ireland 38,000 + 4,000 4.7%

(For July to September. Source: ONS)
    It's the only place in Britain that most immigrants have ever heard of, so that's where they go
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Probably because 90% of immigrants want to live there either adding to unemployment or taking jobs that the locals can no longer get orcing the locals into unemployment....

Comment

Originally posted by expat
        Doesn't matter. The fight against terror would be Gordon Brown's "first priority" if he became prime minister
        The problem here is still, too many people don't see what's coming.

The attitude, "It's only other people who get made redundant as a result of wholesale immigration ... it couldn't possibly happen to me, my skills are much better than most immigrants."

And once they're made redundant, staring at a forced sale of their home or reposession, what are they going to be more frightened of, threat of terror, or their own short to mid-term economic health ?

My own cousin (a former hairdresser), is under the illusion that east europeans, incl Polish, could not hope to compete with their British counterparts. The reason, according to her is ... wait for it ... "because they don't know or could do the styles that so many of us want in this country & the west".

If perceptions like that are commonplace, the term 'lamb' and 'slaughter' comes readily to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
          My own cousin (a former hairdresser), is under the illusion that east europeans, incl Polish, could not hope to compete with their British counterparts. The reason, according to her is ... wait for it ... "because they don't know or could do the styles that so many of us want in this country & the west".
          It's amazing she thinks that. Considering hairdressing was traditionally a staple business of imigrants, especially the Italians.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
            It's amazing she thinks that. Considering hairdressing was traditionally a staple business of imigrants, especially the Italians.
            They used staples? Ouch!
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

The problem here is still, too many people don't see what's coming.

The attitude, "It's only other people who get made redundant as a result of wholesale immigration ... it couldn't possibly happen to me, my skills are much better than most immigrants."

And once they're made redundant, staring at a forced sale of their home or reposession, what are they going to be more frightened of, threat of terror, or their own short to mid-term economic health ?

If perceptions like that are commonplace, the term 'lamb' and 'slaughter' comes readily to mind.
              I am afraid that you have probably picked the one skill where your cousin is right. Have you looked at the awful the dresswear and hairdos of Polish women are? I would imagine the same applies to their architects; designing anything other than a square concrete block is probably beyond them.

Comment

I know a few Polish girls who arrived here 2 to 3 years ago. They seem to have all the fashion mags and without exception all published in Polish and in Poland.

Ever since the collapse of the Iron curtain, and probably before as well, the youngsters all aspired to western fashion - from shoes to hair to bloody nail varnish.

I don't believe for a second my cousin is right.

As for the architects. I suspect you're grossly under-estimating their abilities. Where they designed gray blocks is more likely a result of budgetary and/or political constraints.

Comment

The Polski Fiat was sh1t though
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    As I recall, the FIAT FIAT was also pretty crappy...
                    On a scale of crapiness though

http://www.markiz.terramail.pl/pf125.jpg

125p was the cost I think

another 'classic'

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/f...so-polonez.jpg
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 16 November 2006, 11:52.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I know a few Polish girls who arrived here 2 to 3 years ago. They seem to have all the fashion mags and without exception all published in Polish and in Poland.

Ever since the collapse of the Iron curtain, and probably before as well, the youngsters all aspired to western fashion - from shoes to hair to bloody nail varnish.

I don't believe for a second my cousin is right.

As for the architects. I suspect you're grossly under-estimating their abilities. Where they designed gray blocks is more likely a result of budgetary and/or political constraints.

I suppose inevitably they will take over our hairdressing salons as well. However the men wear the most awful shell suits and the women like applying great dollops of paroxide colouring which makes them look chavvy in a Polish sort of way.

I am sure their architects have the ability to design something other than a grey block but they certainly do not have the experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X