• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why don't Japanese drivers buy US cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't Japanese drivers buy US cars?

A bit of a non-story. Both arguments presented seem like reasons why US car imports to the UK are unlikely to increase in a big way. Population density and quality.

Why don't Japanese drivers buy US cars? - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Every US-built car I've driven (hire cars only) has been terrible. The worst was a Chrysler convertible which was built from pig-iron, and handled like a trolleybus.
    On our last ski trip to the States we had a big Mazda SUV, and it was fantastic.
    Why would the Japanese buy an inferior product when they already build the 3 best selling cars in the US? Because they're not stupid.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Of course it is all but impossible for American car makers to sell cars in Japan.

And that is because American cars are generally tulipe. The American obsession with massive gas guzzlers just doesn't translate anywhere else in the world.

Fix that, and then then fix the sale of US cars around the world.

(I drive a Ford. Kinda kills the argument, but it was built in Spain and is in fact a model not available in the States..)
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        Of course it is all but impossible for American car makers to sell cars in Japan.

And that is because American cars are generally tulipe. The American obsession with massive gas guzzlers just doesn't translate anywhere else in the world.

(I drive a Ford. Kinda kills the argument, but it was built in Spain and is in fact a model not available in the States..)
        In the 90s my cousin from the USA visited me. At the time I had a Ford Sierra (Made in Koln). His first impression was “Wow, is that a Ford? The quality is really good. In the US Fords have a really poor finish and bad reputation.”
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          In the 90s my cousin from the USA visited me. At the time I had a Ford Sierra (Made in Koln). His first impression was “Wow, is that a Ford? The quality is really good. In the US Fords have a really poor finish and bad reputation.”
          Ford seems to have a better reputation these days over in the US and the huge Explorer I drove was actually quite nice.

However on the flip side most of the Jeeps that I have rented over here have some quality issues and some of them deadly - http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...n-yelchin.html - he was crushed and killed against his front gate by his car after a suspected hand brake failure The Jeeps in the UK are made by Fiat and although not amazing they are so much better than the US made equivalents.

Comment

Had the pleasure of experiencing a BMW series 7 back from Munich airport recently, there's a few of them as taxis now. Nearly fell asleep in the back before I got home. Ford are so out of their depth by comparison. Telsa will be interesting to watch over the coming years mind you.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The American obsession with massive gas guzzlers just doesn't translate anywhere else in the world.

True, but I bought a '77 Chevy Impala to travel round the States. While it wasn't the sort of car I'd drive here, I just loved that motor. The throaty roar as you floored it away from an intersection was to die for.

They're great on American roads where there are hardly any bends and no poxy roundabouts so it's no wonder they don't sell well elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                They're great on American roads where there are hardly any bends and no poxy roundabouts so it's no wonder they don't sell well elsewhere.
                Agree with this, why build cars that handle well when all they will do is go in straight lines. I found driving in the America to be a pleasure, so easy. It's like when you play pool on their pool tables after snooker, everything is bigger and easier.

Comment

The American obsession with massive gas guzzlers just doesn't translate anywhere else in the world.
                  I don't have any experience of Australian cars, but get the impression that they go for big gas guzzling lumps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    It's like when you play pool on their pool tables after snooker, everything is bigger and easier.
                    What would Miss America say...

Comment

Working...
                    X