• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

India freaks out over U.S. plans to change high-skilled visas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Oh FFS, yet again another Brexiter sh!te with numbers.

Sage 1 billion turnover
    Sophos 0.5 billion
    Alterian 38 million

Google 75 billion
    Amazon 107 billion
    Microsoft 85 billion

Even the Germans have SAP, 26 billion

I said world class, not supporting a few 100 employees in the arse end of Bumshire.

You still are as big an imbecile as when the referendum was declared (and no doubt before). It's clearly been difficult for you to read that I didn't vote for or against Brexit. Ah well, doesn't suit your agenda.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      I would like to know if US citizens have enough IT skills to fulfil the positions.
      Of course they have, they are all on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        Yeah but you could say that about most EU countries.

The Germans have SAP true, don't know another German one though. As for the French, Italians, Dutch and so on - they are just as bad as us.
        Well there's Software AG with around a billion in turnover
        Comparex with over 1.5 billion
        There's a few more but I can't be bothered plus quite a few are holding companies for smaller firms which act as independent business units (much like SuSE does for the British company Microfocus :-) )
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          It's clearly been difficult for you to read that I didn't vote for or against Brexit
          My Apologies. I did make a logical error. While most Brexiters are thick not all thickos voted for Brexit. I do apologise.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Well they could always implement a training program, big enough population.
            That's how I got into IT.

Did a government sponsored M.Sc. conversion course under the ET programme (ET=Employment Training, though we thought it was Extra Tenner on top of your dole). You know the one, where you had to have been unemployed for at least 6 months.

That was one of two occasions where I've bothered to write to an MP. And it was to thank the govt for the opportunity to turn my life around.

Then the funding was pulled. Probably had something to do with Blair getting in.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Did a government sponsored M.Sc. conversion course under the ET programme (ET=Employment Training, though we thought it was Extra Tenner on top of your dole). You know the one, where you had to have been unemployed for at least 6 months.

That was one of two occasions where I've bothered to write to an MP. And it was to thank the govt for the opportunity to turn my life around.

Then the funding was pulled. Probably had something to do with Blair getting in.
              My brother did similar - he has now been at 3M for 20 odd years and has done well climbing the greasy pole.

For the snowflakes out there - he started in a very junior role, paying very little and because he could not afford a car he had to walk 3 miles a day - however he stuck at it and now owns his own house, car and is quite well off - took him about 20 years and he never grew a beard

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Well there's Software AG with around a billion in turnover
                Comparex with over 1.5 billion
                There's a few more but I can't be bothered plus quite a few are holding companies for smaller firms which act as independent business units (much like SuSE does for the British company Microfocus :-) )
                Comparex? Thought they were just a reseller. They've sold a few licenses of my software for me. They didn't strike me as an innovative, class defining company. I'd lump them in with Insight and SHI.

What my point was though is that if you look through the "Ages Of Computing" you will find that it is completely dominated by US Corporations. This is hardly a revolutionary insight.

The PC manufacturers, the likes of IBM, Dell and Apple. The "First Generation" of PC Software companies - companies like Microsoft, Oracle, Adobe, the first generation of internet companies - Google, Amazon, Yahoo. The next generation of internet companies, AirBnB, Uber. The major chip makers - AMD, Intel, Nvidia.

For the last 50 years it's all started in Silicon Valley. Not in London, Paris or Berlin.

Who's currently winning the battle of the cloud? Is it Amazon, Microsoft or Google? Which European ( inc. UK ) company has established a global network of data centres that could seriously challenge one of those 3? Which European company would have the global recognition to reach out to the millions of corporations across the planet and supply them with their basic IT requirements?

So whilst we should lament that in the UK we have not created as many class-defining companies in the IT space as we could have this is not a unique failing of the British.

There is a vibrant IT industry in the UK and in Europe, with small niche software providers, doing good work, providing good jobs but the lion's share is dominated by the US. They are doing all the running.

And that's either because of American Exceptionalism or collective Western-European failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Similar story to mine. I bust my spuds working 14 hours a day in two jobs for 1.5 years to save for the M.Sc. conversion only to be awarded a grant for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    Comparex? Thought they were just a reseller. They've sold a few licenses of my software for me. They didn't strike me as an innovative, class defining company. I'd lump them in with Insight and SHI.

What my point was though is that if you look through the "Ages Of Computing" you will find that it is completely dominated by US Corporations. This is hardly a revolutionary insight.

The PC manufacturers, the likes of IBM, Dell and Apple. The "First Generation" of PC Software companies - companies like Microsoft, Oracle, Adobe, the first generation of internet companies - Google, Amazon, Yahoo. The next generation of internet companies, AirBnB, Uber. The major chip makers - AMD, Intel, Nvidia.

For the last 50 years it's all started in Silicon Valley. Not in London, Paris or Berlin.

Who's currently winning the battle of the cloud? Is it Amazon, Microsoft or Google? Which European ( inc. UK ) company has established a global network of data centres that could seriously challenge one of those 3? Which European company would have the global recognition to reach out to the millions of corporations across the planet and supply them with their basic IT requirements?

So whilst we should lament that in the UK we have not created as many class-defining companies in the IT space as we could have this is not a unique failing of the British.

There is a vibrant IT industry in the UK and in Europe, with small niche software providers, doing good work, providing good jobs but the lion's share is dominated by the US. They are doing all the running.

And that's either because of American Exceptionalism or collective Western-European failure.
                    I read somewhere that it was partly due to Brits were happy to retire when the made the first ten million where as the culture in the US was to aim for the first billion.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      My Apologies. I did make a logical error. While most Brexiters are thick not all thickos voted for Brexit. I do apologise.
                      Indeed. You voted remain.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X