• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iraq - The End game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru
    I don't think daily sectarian violence was a feature of Saddam's regime. He effectively clamped down on it
    Yeah, very fooking effectively as the scores of mass graves prove.
    Honestly, your response lost any kudos after its rather promising and honest opening gambit of "I don't think"
    Twas all downhill after that.

As for your ridiculous forecasts of what could have been achieved with $500Bn alexei, you don't even understand the property market far less the complexities of clinical research into killer diseases, so I'll treat them with the contempt they deserve.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
      The facts are that Blair followed Bush and that Bush went into Iraq with the express intention of Regime Change. Are you seriously denying that regime change has occurred?

Secondly, the Coalition promised the Iraqis free and democratic elections during which they could choose their own government. Tens of millions of Iraqis voted in those elections, and the people duly elected have formed a government.

Thirdly, the overwhelming majority of deaths have arisen due to Muslim killing muslim with only a tiny percentage being directly attributable to the Coalition Forces.

We are now at a point where we can morally take a step backwards and leave them to it IMHO.

Now...........what are the facts on YOUR planet?? I could use a good laugh!!
      Christ, talk about putting the blinkers on and distorting facts.

Sure we've been over this one before, but we went in there not for regime change expressely, as we argued about at the time, but on the basis of finding WOMD, spreading democracy to the Arab world and prventing the spread of fundamentalist Islamic terrorsit groups.

Regime change was a by product, not the reason for doing so. We gave them democratic elections true, we also FUBAR'd the country big time cause we went in without a post invasion plan and look where that's ended us, and to try to remove our culpability for the resulting numbers of people killed is an act of spin up there with NL at it's worst.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Bush went in to settle an old score because Saddam would not sell him cheap oil for his oil company interests after the first Gulf War. Iraq was not a place where terrorists were trained (Saddam didn't agree with Osama's lot) although that has probably changed due to the vacuum of power left after Saddam was toppled.

This was also a convinient way for Bush to give the american people an outlet for thier frustrations after 9/11
        No WMD's were found, Regime change?? Why?? The country was more stable and predictable under Saddam (Which is why he was left in power after the first Gulf War).

Lets face it, it was a PR stunt for Bush who bullied the UN into it with the help of dear old Tony, and was used as a way for a lot of high up american polititions to get rich, t wasn't for any good or noble reasons and should never have happened.

I agree get our boys out as there is no point for them to be there, I don't agree that the war was started for a valid reason though, we haven't helped anybody with this war (apart from a few even richer polititions) and anybody who thinks we have done good is either blinkered or stupid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          Lets face it, it was a PR stunt for Bush who bullied the UN into it with the help of dear old Tony
          The UN didn't sanction any of what happened in Iraq btw. Unilateral action and all that.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Trouble is that all rational thinking gets shouted down by the go get 'em attitude of Shaunbhoy, Bush etc.

Comment

anybody who thinks we have done good is either blinkered or stupid!!
              Well, that was obvious thing about shaunbhoy and MailMan and some others even before this war started.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Well, that was obvious thing about shaunbhoy and MailMan and some others even before this war started.
                Well we all know where YOU stand when it comes to making tough decisions alexei. You are in the "cut-and-run" section along with the other invertebrates.
                Explain to me how it can be the case that when a sunni suicide bomber blows himself up outside a Shia mosque, the western forces are to blame and I might start taking you a bit more seriously.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                  The UN didn't sanction any of what happened in Iraq btw. Unilateral action and all that.
                  If i remember correctly the US told the UN "pass a resolution allowing us to go in, or we will go in anyway" and the UN rolled over like a good little doggy and passed a resolution.

US gets its way, UN looks like an impotent lapdog of the US and Bush is smiling all the way to Baghdad...

Comment

UN looks like an impotent lapdog
                    Which is exactly what it is. Why anyone would waste time waiting for it to arrive at any sensible or timely conclusion never ceases to amaze me. Look at the mess in Darfur. I suppose we in the west are to blame for that also eh?

Comment

So you agree that my argument is right then

Comment

Working...
                      X